the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

Very impressive stuff from DRL; makes my entry seem piffling by comparison. I was looking at some trees for a regular customer today. This Beech is right next to a footpath, that is used by the local do walkers. It is probably about 80ft tall, could be 90 at a pinch. Pretty sure he will want us to get it down. Not accessible to MEWP at all, nor crane. I would not climb it as I would be way to worried that taking weight of one are of the crown could precipitate sudden failure of the trunk - it has quite a lean on it. Only way I can see of getting this down is to put heavy duty ratchet straps around the trunk to reduce risk of barber's chair, then do a back cut (not enough meat for a hinge, and not prepared to risk staying there long enough to make one). I might consider using a telescopic saw to nibble at the rear section that is under tension, don't laugh - even the 20ft Silky pole! It will take out some lesser trees as it comes down, into/across a brook. Then time to use the tractor winch to start extracting it carefully. Suggestions on a postcard please.IMG_3767.thumb.jpg.9bdb025f593ecca66b87874e98b117d4.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Very impressive stuff from DRL; makes my entry seem piffling by comparison. I was looking at some trees for a regular customer today. This Beech is right next to a footpath, that is used by the local do walkers. It is probably about 80ft tall, could be 90 at a pinch. Pretty sure he will want us to get it down. Not accessible to MEWP at all, nor crane. I would not climb it as I would be way to worried that taking weight of one are of the crown could precipitate sudden failure of the trunk - it has quite a lean on it. Only way I can see of getting this down is to put heavy duty ratchet straps around the trunk to reduce risk of barber's chair, then do a back cut (not enough meat for a hinge, and not prepared to risk staying there long enough to make one). I might consider using a telescopic saw to nibble at the rear section that is under tension, don't laugh - even the 20ft Silky pole! It will take out some lesser trees as it comes down, into/across a brook. Then time to use the tractor winch to start extracting it carefully. Suggestions on a postcard please.IMG_3767.thumb.jpg.9bdb025f593ecca66b87874e98b117d4.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

Show us pics of the whole tree - that’s ace! Incredible how trees adapt and stay upright.

1 hour ago, maybelateron said:

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

However you tackle it I reckon your bum hole will be doing the 5p 50p thing 🤣

Find some one local with an explosives licence to blow out the high side! Would make good watching 

2 hours ago, maybelateron said:

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

Can you not get tracked Mewp in there. 

You mentioned winch tractor then just pull it over. 

9 hours ago, woody paul said:

Can you not get tracked Mewp in there. 

You mentioned winch tractor then just pull it over. 

It's in a gully between two fields, and the path in the gully is too steep and slippery for a tracked MEWP.

The direction it needs to fall/be pulled in would involve getting the rope/cable up through some other trees. This might be an option, I agree. I am inclined towards staring the back cut with a telescopic chainsaw, and then if it has not fallen early on changing to the 20ft Silky pole saw; this is after having put ratchet straps round the trunk above the cavity.

• Like 1