the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

That is nicely done Joe, although I can’t help but be thankful that climbs like that don’t feature in my life any more.

Strange how we are all different. I love a good reduction. I'd have probably done that whole thing with a silky so no need for chainsaw trousers or boots. A day scampering around a tree in a comfy pair of trousers and some old comfy boots is a great day. I'd much rather a technical climb, than dragging a big heavy saw around the place and rigging big heavy bits of timber. 

6 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Strange how we are all different. I love a good reduction. I'd have probably done that whole thing with a silky so no need for chainsaw trousers or boots. A day scampering around a tree in a comfy pair of trousers and some old comfy boots is a great day. I'd much rather a technical climb, than dragging a big heavy saw around the place and rigging big heavy bits of timber. 

Reductions bugged the hell out of me towards the end. If all I did was take downs I may have even stuck it out a bit longer.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Reductions bugged the hell out of me towards the end. If all I did was take downs I may have even stuck it out a bit longer.

When I was climbing a lot I was usually just less than 10 stone, at about 5'11. I was built for small percentage reductions, not lumping heavy stuff around. 

28 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

When I was climbing a lot I was usually just less than 10 stone, at about 5'11. I was built for small percentage reductions, not lumping heavy stuff around. 

So spill the beans.  What’s your retired weight then? ;)

• Like 3

RC your weight increase reflects mine pretty much exactly through my climbing career.

I generally think reductions are pointless though.

Someone has just dropped over a grand on that tree Joe did (very well) just to make it look prettier.

It hasn’t helped the tree at all.

I know he would agree.

Climbing in non-ppe with a silky is always fun, but the voice in your head telling you the physical graft involved just to please someone rich and ignorant whose house has been built in the wrong place isn’t.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I didn't wear saw boots or trousers...

Sod using a Silky though. A mini topper is hardly a lot of weight to carry. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

RC your weight increase reflects mine pretty much exactly through my climbing career.

I generally think reductions are pointless though.

Someone has just dropped over a grand on that tree Joe did (very well) just to make it look prettier.

It hasn’t helped the tree at all.

I know he would agree.

Climbing in non-ppe with a silky is always fun, but the voice in your head telling you the physical graft involved just to please someone rich and ignorant whose house has been built in the wrong place isn’t.

I don't even think it looks better tbf. A lot of money (and graft on mine and @treeman 's behalf) for naff all difference to the client.

Personally I would've recommended a deadwood and that's it, but that's the nature of being a contract Climber. 

My arms were cramping big time in the afternoon. I generally don't hydrate enough and pulling yourself through forks on srt really takes its toll on my grip.

• Like 2