the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

33 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Can’t speak for Matty but my job was a PITA.

It would have been demoralising for one climber.

Anyone who quotes that for 1 climber for a day is an absolute savage.

I mean, you might just about do it if you really went for it, but you'd be knackered for days!

2 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Anyone who quotes that for 1 climber for a day is an absolute savage.

I mean, you might just about do it if you really went for it, but you'd be knackered for days!

Worked out we did 4.5 hours climbing for 2 guys.  So technically 9 man hours to complete the job.

One guy might be able to finish it in a 9 hour shift but tbh, I reckon they’d be goosed afterwards and possibly wouldn’t be able to keep the same pace throughout the day.

9 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Worked out we did 4.5 hours climbing for 2 guys.  So technically 9 man hours to complete the job.

One guy might be able to finish it in a 9 hour shift but tbh, I reckon they’d be goosed afterwards and possibly wouldn’t be able to keep the same pace throughout the day.

Yup, I dread turning up to jobs like that 🤣

• Like 1

Me too, in the past I have asked them why they didn't get a second climber in?  It is usually the guys who can’t do it them selves.  Expect you to perform a miracle, so I ask them to get up there and show me how it’s done!

Sometimes they listen and have rebooked as it was an honest mistake.  A couple of occasions I have walked away and never looked back.  I don’t have time to work for people like that.

• Like 4

I don’t tend to get all over RJ’s these days.  So it isn’t too bad, even though it can be hard yakker!

Whereas in the UK I used to get loads.  They became a chore and I hated pretty much every bit of the jobs apart from the final decent out of the tree. ;)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I don’t tend to get all over RJ’s these days.  So it isn’t too bad, even though it can be hard yakker!

Whereas in the UK I used to get loads.  They became a chore and I hated pretty much every bit of the jobs apart from the final decent out of the tree. ;)

That's me in a nutshell mate. It's the hardest kind of climbing you can do. I reduced a leggy oak yesterday for one guy I work for. He's actual a decent climber, but he too hates reductions so he gets me in for them 🙄.

This tree had been pollarded some 25+ years ago and had naff all internal growth. Very awkward climb and reducing by 2m back to epi most of the time.

Credit to my mate he jumped up with me and did the side without the phonelines and fence and decking etc. Bad enough having to get out to the tips but to then cut and chuck everything made for a tiring day.  

• Sad 1

That's me in a nutshell mate. It's the hardest kind of climbing you can do. I reduced a leggy oak yesterday for one guy I work for. He's actual a decent climber, but he too hates reductions so he gets me in for them [emoji849].

This tree had been pollarded some 25+ years ago and had naff all internal growth. Very awkward climb and reducing by 2m back to epi most of the time.

Credit to my mate he jumped up with me and did the side without the phonelines and fence and decking etc. Bad enough having to get out to the tips but to then cut and chuck everything made for a tiring day.  

Aye it’s brutal, I’m on my knees and now and have a load more tomorrow
... stick me on spikes with a rigging rope any day of the week.... beats climbing on 3” sticks above your anchor point and trying to find a drop zone for them with out them ricocheting off something and smashing targets to bits whilst trying not to tear off any decent remaining growth points...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1