the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

Feel your pain. We tried the mog route which was semi-legal ish (better than regularly running the tranny at 5t anyway) trouble was when our regular ace mechanic moved on, we couldn’t live with the maintenance/parts/low loader/downtime costs.

Tried a 6.5t Iveco crew cab on a restricted O’ licence which was about the best solution we could find.

It’s not just arbs, Mark.. try running a busy furniture business with a Luton transit without overloading it.

I think if you don't go 7.5tonner then it's trailer (2.5t payload) or 4x4 tipper and then you can't fit in enough chip to overload.

It is weird though, I'd be interested in just how we got to this 3.5t figure in the legislation that is now controlling the design of trucks. It doesn't make sense really, it leads to useless trucks so why not 4.5t? 5t?
  • Like 2

I think if you don't go 7.5tonner then it's trailer (2.5t payload) or 4x4 tipper and then you can't fit in enough chip to overload.

It is weird though, I'd be interested in just how we got to this 3.5t figure in the legislation that is now controlling the design of trucks. It doesn't make sense really, it leads to useless trucks so why not 4.5t? 5t?
And also i think it is more dangerous towing 3.5t than having that weight on a 3.5t tipper. I guess there is sound reasoning behind it.

On 21/02/2021 at 00:44, Mark Bolam said:

7m3-3600kg.

That’s 514kg/m3.

My tranny has a legal payload of 650 with crew, dog and tools.

I know Josh is talking about piss-wet beech chip, which is about as heavy as it gets, but the stats are still pretty worrying for anyone even to try staying legal on 3.5 tonners.

Level load for Tranny is 2.4m3.

1.2t for a level load.

I always reckoned level was legal, and beyond that I was chancing (every job basically), but this has really bought home to me what I’ve always known.

It’s bollocks.

It’s all total and utter bollocks.

The nicest arb truck I’ve ever seen was an Isuzu or Canter at one of the shows back in the day.

Tool lockers, ladder racks, blah blah.

Beautiful.

Real world working payload? 550kg.

Do your maths fellas.

Im a big fan of a restricted licence system up to 4.5k without the O licence regs just to keep us all at least semi-legal.

I’ve been drinking tonight, obviously.

On behalf of everyone who knows we do the job with trucks that are adequate for the job but are overloaded every day, what is the solution?

Tut tut 😉 Transits are shocking on their  legal payload. Level  ' looks' legal in passing, 7.5 t lorry or lots of trips  😕 or tracter. K

7m3-3600kg.

That’s 514kg/m3.

My tranny has a legal payload of 650 with crew, dog and tools.

I know Josh is talking about piss-wet beech chip, which is about as heavy as it gets, but the stats are still pretty worrying for anyone even to try staying legal on 3.5 tonners.

Level load for Tranny is 2.4m3.

1.2t for a level load.

I always reckoned level was legal, and beyond that I was chancing (every job basically), but this has really bought home to me what I’ve always known.

It’s bollocks.

It’s all total and utter bollocks.

The nicest arb truck I’ve ever seen was an Isuzu or Canter at one of the shows back in the day.
Tool lockers, ladder racks, blah blah.
Beautiful.
Real world working payload? 550kg.

Do your maths fellas.
Im a big fan of a restricted licence system up to 4.5k without the O licence regs just to keep us all at least semi-legal.
I’ve been drinking tonight, obviously.

On behalf of everyone who knows we do the job with trucks that are adequate for the job but are overloaded every day, what is the solution?

The solution is to find all the VOSA hot spots and avoid them at all costs.

I got caught with a bold tyre about 3 years back and I didn’t mind the fine or redoing the MOT but I did mind the way they made me feel like I’d just killed someone. I’ll never for get the Tutting and the shaking of there heads, getting everyone around to see how much of a idiot I was.

Vans are checked over every morning before going out now.
  • Like 2

The solution is to find all the VOSA hot spots and avoid them at all costs.

I got caught with a bold tyre about 3 years back and I didn’t mind the fine or redoing the MOT but I did mind the way they made me feel like I’d just killed someone. I’ll never for get the Tutting and the shaking of there heads, getting everyone around to see how much of a idiot I was.

Vans are checked over every morning before going out now.

That’s a great idea for another directory.. perhaps Steve could put one together alongside the chip-site directory. That way you could download the route-plan straight off Arbtalk...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

nothing wrong in the legislation IMO. 

Most people who pass their B car test will never need to drive a vehicle over 3.5t, so unnecessary to train them for heavier

the common tipper is manufactures giving an option.

there’s transit sized tippers at3.5 4.5 5.5 6.5 and 7ton GVWs

if you want or need to go heavier there’s vehicles and licenses available.

it’s just easier to be lazy and complain though 😆

(and yes, I have tried HGV ownership, the particular size wasn’t for me, perhaps will try again with a different size hgv sooner or later)