the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

16 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Too late for me, it already did emoji51.png

I’m sure you’ll make it pay back - from where I’m sat you definitely deserve it. Massive respect for investing in that setup, aside from the money I can see/understand the thought and hurdles you’ve put into it and overcome. 

• Like 2

On 04/05/2020 at 22:47, Gray git said:

Yes , helps with traction when the machine spends a lot of time pushing backwards with a mulcher on.
Apparently also limits where on the road, found this out too late to avoid buggering my from tyre's.

Makes total sense ??

Ah bugger, did aleg pipe blow as looks like your unloading and had this side down?
Looks like you've got some decent guardian around your cab, any more pictures of that?

Had a split load of dry and green Scots on and slewed drawbar t get between stacks didn’t put leg down on slews side and swung odd bit of green onto relevant stack and over she went[emoji849][emoji20]
Normally easy to upright but control levers were pulled hard onto cross member so couldn’t raise crane as counter balance and it popped slew pipes off, phone died so mile or so walk back to yard t get telehandler to upright. I’ll take a some pics of guarding but not back til Tuesday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, timbernut said:

Had a split load of dry and green Scots on and slewed drawbar t get between stacks didn’t put leg down on slews side and swung odd bit of green onto relevant stack and over she wentemoji849.pngemoji20.png
Normally easy to upright but control levers were pulled hard onto cross member so couldn’t raise crane as counter balance and it popped slew pipes off, phone died so mile or so walk back to yard t get telehandler to upright. I’ll take a some pics of guarding but not back til Tuesday

Sounds like a typical Monday morning or Friday afternoon situation! I’ve only tipped my Logbullet once, and that was late on in the day. Parking it up for the night, pissing down and dark, forgot to put leg down and swung crane right out. Over she went! I’ll only do it once! (Hopefully!)

• Like 3

What do you want it for ? Pulling or actual working in the woods ? For woods tractors i would be looking at N101’s to N120’s or older 6400’s those bigger valtras although they are great at pulling are thirsty and are not manoeuvrable in the woods even the 101 is remarkably harder to negotiate a Wöod thinning in than 6400.... the older 6400’s seem to hold strong money have a good following and have little computers although the earths on some of the cab switch electrics can be grief as they age but easy and obvious to fix if you know ! The bigger six pots are great if all you do is clear fell but I would live with the 4 Potts if you didn’t have many hills and didn’t tow to much , I use a 101 and it is a little lacking bringing on home large loads of beech up hill... fine in the woods although I could live with the 6400 which is very versatile.

Hi Matty, thanks for this. To be honest it’s mainly going to be used for getting in to sites which we have cleared with a timber trailer. A little bit of woodland work although this may change if I start looking in to this side of work a bit more. I would look at getting a grain trailer for the larger chipping jobs and look into using it for a larger PTO chipper at some point. This is because I’ve thought about a tracked chipper and to be honest a tracked chipper isn’t as useful to me as a tractor would be.
The business is starting to head into site clearance type work and I just feel a tractor, timber trailer, grain trailer and a PTO chipper are going to be a lot more useful for this type of work. I’m slightly swayed because I’d love a tractor but have given it plenty of thought and think it’s a good way forward. It’s not going to happen just yet but within the next year I’d say.
Thanks again

On 04/05/2020 at 18:01, swinny said:

Do you not think nostalgia plays a part with these older tractors though.... Surely there's some good better (newer) tractors out there that will.make life easier on site etc.

Should we be afraid of all these electrics and fancy transmissions? (I say yes but I await to hear what you.lot say lol )

I think Countys say it all about forestry tractors, used from the early 60s and still used widely today, Why well the first ones to be used widely where the Major based super 4 and super 6, then they moved on to the ford 5000 based units and continuing the super 4 and super 6 models then as things progressed the tractors got better power and better cabs, probably the 3 models used most in forestry where the 1124 1164 and the 1174, Ok there is no creature comforts in em but they have a lot going for them, first of all the major based ones where built on a back end that was like a lot of things of that era very drastically over engineered, after all nearly all the tractor pulling lads use major back ends putting 1000s of hp through em, then came the 5000 based units, some with a 4 pot engine like the 774 and 974 but the 6 pot engined 1164 and 1174 where by far the better forestry tractor, circa 120hp Ok its not massive hp but its how that hp is distributed to get the traction down, only driven a 1174 and it was a very impressive machine we moved 1000s of tonnes of shit with one towing a 20 tonne dump trailer, Ok it was not a tractor to drive many miles on the road but very impressive off road, so why County,s simple, reliable, well built,very robust, good reliable old school gearbox, good to work on and best of all no complicated electrics to go wrong, One guy i know had a 1164 that he bought in 1975 ran it with a igland double drum winch on it and then later fitted a cab mounted crane, this tractor worked in forestry from 1975 - 2014 and hardly let him down, fitted 2 new front hubs when one colapsed and apart from 2 hydraulic pumps,3 starter motors and a altinator, that was it and as he said it would all ways start even when it was covered in a foot of snow, since he sold it he has tried to buy it back every other week but to no avail,

• Like 5

5 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I think Countys say it all about forestry tractors, used from the early 60s and still used widely today, Why well the first ones to be used widely where the Major based super 4 and super 6, then they moved on to the ford 5000 based units and continuing the super 4 and super 6 models then as things progressed the tractors got better power and better cabs, probably the 3 models used most in forestry where the 1124 1164 and the 1174, Ok there is no creature comforts in em but they have a lot going for them, first of all the major based ones where built on a back end that was like a lot of things of that era very drastically over engineered, after all nearly all the tractor pulling lads use major back ends putting 1000s of hp through em, then came the 5000 based units, some with a 4 pot engine like the 774 and 974 but the 6 pot engined 1164 and 1174 where by far the better forestry tractor, circa 120hp Ok its not massive hp but its how that hp is distributed to get the traction down, only driven a 1174 and it was a very impressive machine we moved 1000s of tonnes of shit with one towing a 20 tonne dump trailer, Ok it was not a tractor to drive many miles on the road but very impressive off road, so why County,s simple, reliable, well built,very robust, good reliable old school gearbox, good to work on and best of all no complicated electrics to go wrong, One guy i know had a 1164 that he bought in 1975 ran it with a igland double drum winch on it and then later fitted a cab mounted crane, this tractor worked in forestry from 1975 - 2014 and hardly let him down, fitted 2 new front hubs when one colapsed and apart from 2 hydraulic pumps,3 starter motors and a altinator, that was it and as he said it would all ways start even when it was covered in a foot of snow, since he sold it he has tried to buy it back every other week but to no avail,

Not that I know anything about tractors, but I love the bit about the guy constantly trying to buy his tractor back.

• Like 2