the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

32 minutes ago, Ian Flatters said:

Went to assess a fallen limb on this massive cedar. A few AT have climbed this a good few years back when we arranged a reccy climb. IMG_20191130_091905_214.jpegIMG_20191130_091619.jpeg

What was the result or outcome? 

What is the Cedar? deodar, lebanon or atlas? 

Had  a lot of heavy rain recently. One of the Blue Atlas Cedars on our Estate has a split limb waiting to fall. Unfortunately we didn't get the weight pruned off it early enough. Its already a regrowth from after the 87 hurricane. Very heavy lateral branch regrowth so didn't have too much of a chance in the first place. But seems to have happened after the heavy rain. Probably similar concept to SBD with the tree taking up too much water in one go for such a big limb. 

What was the result or outcome? 

What is the Cedar? deodar, lebanon or atlas? 

Had  a lot of heavy rain recently. One of the Blue Atlas Cedars on our Estate has a split limb waiting to fall. Unfortunately we didn't get the weight pruned off it early enough. Its already a regrowth from after the 87 hurricane. Very heavy lateral branch regrowth so didn't have too much of a chance in the first place. But seems to have happened after the heavy rain. Probably similar concept to SBD with the tree taking up too much water in one go for such a big limb. 
Just a long limb shearing in the winds. Lebanon cedar and all we will do is tidy up the bit on the floor and remove hangers. Very low targets in regards of people but there is a stone built building circa early 1900s Close by but would only get hit if the top failed in that direction.

Living the dream Alex!
Apart from the palms, like.

I most certainly am Mr Bolam[emoji41] I’m absolutely loving and working for a great company. Everyday is job and knock and still a full days pay, can’t ask for more than that. And yeah the palms are filthy and horrible to crown raise especially when you’ve got possums in them. [emoji849]
  • Haha 1

Turners eh?
My experience pretty much reflects yours.

Same here, palleted up two loads of big laburnum pieces for a well known member on here. Paid the transport myself in good faith and never heard from him again. Chased him up for it and got zip.
Got past feeling angry about it, kinda feel sorry for people who live their lives like that.
  • Like 3

Timon I know exactly how you feel but us good hearted guys never learn our lessons cause there is something in us kind hearted people who just don’t ever learn,I can’t remember how many times I have been on jobs were other trades are working and they say I have a log burner or a open fire and would it be ok to have a few logs and you say ya course only to come back next day to find not just a few gone but the lot.i don’t do logs as such but have a few people i deliver cut timber to and they split and log it up there’s selfs and i make a few £££’s for myself.

Anyway it happened again this weekend,guy fitting blinds in conservatory asked if he could have a few logs,I had felled a beautiful cherry,cut all limbs 4” and above into small logs sections and main stem into rings,2 medium sized Ash same a good pickup load and ready to collect Sunday morning,tuned up and he had left about 2 wheel barrows full and like you I go beyond being angry as it’s my fault for saying yeas rather then no,will we ever learn?

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, nepia said:

Yeah, know that feeling but at the end of the day it's only firewood; is it worth getting het up about?  The good people make up for it in the long run in my eyes.

I think that’s exactly the view these guys have that it’s just only wood but when you spend the time cutting and stacking it for yourself then someone thinks they can just take it without any thought does grind especially when you have knocked a few £££’s off the job for a good will gesture because it’s decent wood burning and you will make a some extra money it really does make you angry for a while...but I don’t let it get to me as line you say end of the day it’s only wood and I feel sorry for assholes who do that sort of thing without any thought and thinking that asking without just taking Gives them the right to take the lot just because they did ask.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1