the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

To an extent I hear you but on the other hand...  you are meant to be a professional.  

Meet the customers requirements with correct work.

Pruning cuts and target pruning and not just wanging a saw through the regrowth and leaving a two inch stub with an angle.

To be fair if you're that bothered about the wellbeing of your trees you probably won't ask the local driveway guy to quote for the work. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

To be fair if you're that bothered about the wellbeing of your trees you probably won't ask the local driveway guy to quote for the work. 

I do all aspects of groundworks construction demolition landscaping and property maintenance as well as general garden maintenance 

Jack 

1 hour ago, Paul Cleaver said:

Are the wounds not open to fungal infection for up to 2 yrs? If so then perhaps not so important . The thinking on this may have changed now as this info was dredged from the volts of my aging temporal lobes.  

I haven't read all the latest research  - so I don't know. Back in 1993(AA research note) Lonsdale was a bit anti autumn pruning

'Despite the complexity of the seasonal changes, it can be predicted that, contrary to tradition,

autumn is a bad time to prune trees. Components of the tree’s defences that depend on cell growth

are clearly less effective than in the growing season. Also, wood moisture is at its lowest in many

species in autumn. A high moisture content in wood equates with low oxygen content which limits

the activity of decay fungi, even though some can survive such conditions. Finally, autumn is the

time when a high proportion of decay fungi are releasing their spores'

Interested in the latest, if anyone can recommend an article or review @EdwardC

@Gary Prentice

• Like 1

Thanks Mick. How much did that set you back?

I am currently hiring an Avant E6, the battery job which isn't too bad, forks, bucket and sweeper, but would like to try the grapple, etc for moving trees and brash. Gotta build a big ole bon fire soon too so probably worth it.  Want to get a multi loader for the site I work on trialing Avant to see what it can do. 

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Schliesing 485, 75 hp on a turntable.
I had to buy something to cover the Forst which is a bit fragile.

Great chipper the Schliesing.  The turn table comes in very handy.  

We used to run one at the firm I used to come out contracting to, in Oslo.