the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

2 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:
1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:
No, 2pm on the second day.

Was that climbing or total clean up and job done

No, that was the butt on the floor, Timber lorry came a few days later which stretched it to a third day.

In hindsight, could I (or someone else) have done the job quicker? Possibly.

But there’s no point putting stuff on the ground quicker than it can be processed.

If there was one thing I would have done differently it would have been to use SRT (if I knew how to!) it would have speeded up my ascents/descents and I would have been less fatigued once I’d got up there. I’m very much mid nineties technique wise and it exposed the shortcomings of 25 year old styles.

Plenty of money on the job though, which I did in the allotted time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Alex O said:

Same here mick, still use a pursik emoji17.png. After 19yrs no wonder why my body has taken a beating emoji30.png

Hey Alex! I do use a zigzag, I find ascending with it (and the thin ropes) hard on my hands.

It would actually be easier with a prussick and three strand, but those days are gone.

• Like 1

No, that was the butt on the floor, Timber lorry came a few days later which stretched it to a third day.

In hindsight, could I (or someone else) have done the job quicker? Possibly.

But there’s no point putting stuff on the ground quicker than it can be processed.

If there was one thing I would have done differently it would have been to use SRT (if I knew how to!) it would have speeded up my ascents/descents and I would have been less fatigued once I’d got up there. I’m very much mid nineties technique wise and it exposed the shortcomings of 25 year old styles.

Plenty of money on the job though, which I did in the allotted time.

After my injury I have decided to give srt a go again i spend 99% of my time on spikes which has foolishly delayed my transition but no excuse any more its definitely a body saver

Hahahaha no zigzag, bigger climbs a distill/ French prusik with a pulley but that as technical as I’ve got. Used a friends zigzag set a few years back but just found it a hindrance as it was on a load of reductions and without a direct line I found it a struggle. I think I need to just stop being so stubborn and just stick at it, I guess sometimes change can be good. I remember watching one of regs videos back along and he was saying it had helped his body etc.

6 minutes ago, Alex O said:

Hahahaha no zigzag, bigger climbs a distill/ French prusik with a pulley but that as technical as I’ve got. Used a friends zigzag set a few years back but just found it a hindrance as it was on a load of reductions and without a direct line I found it a struggle. I think I need to just stop being so stubborn and just stick at it, I guess sometimes change can be good. I remember watching one of regs videos back along and he was saying it had helped his body etc.

I don’t think in general climbing is destructive, with regards to your body. 

All my problems have been been due to lifting logs/rings of wood etc.

So, eliminate the heavy lifting, and you’ll be right for a good while imho.

I get tired in the afternoon so look to get out of the harness by 3 at the latest if at all possible. If you’ve priced it right that should be doable.

If there’s a lot of heavy lifting involved, and I can’t get the loader in, I bung another hundred on the job and hire a strong young sort who relishes that sort of thing and leave them to it.

• Like 5