the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

So today I went out and did a days climbing for the first time in 9 months.

It was for a friend who has helped me move house twice in the past and is due to help me again at the end of the month.  He has always refused payment.  He recently bought a new place which needed a load of work doing so it was a good opportunity to finally be able to repay him for his past help.

Well, what can I say, i'm absolutely bolloxed now.  Didn't realise just how unfit I had become.  Started off with a couple of simplish take downs, but then onto a fairly technical Beech tree which was 2m from the house, with lots of rigging involved.  I got to about lunch time and I could feel my forearms rapidly declining.  Got to 3pm at a stage where all the the brash was off with just a bunch of skinny poles to chog down but by this time my forearms had fatigued to the point of total failure.  Yep total failure, every time I attempted to grip something my forearms spasmed and cramped up.

Ashamed to admit I came down, it was literally not worth even attempting to carry on.  I wasn't going to get the whole job done anyway even if I did finish that tree, so will go back for a second day next week to bosh out the rest.

Bit embarrassing but thought i'd share.  Use it or lose it!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

So today I went out and did a days climbing for the first time in 9 months.

It was for a friend who has helped me move house twice in the past and is due to help me again at the end of the month.  He has always refused payment.  He recently bought a new place which needed a load of work doing so it was a good opportunity to finally be able to repay him for his past help.

Well, what can I say, i'm absolutely bolloxed now.  Didn't realise just how unfit I had become.  Started off with a couple of simplish take downs, but then onto a fairly technical Beech tree which was 2m from the house, with lots of rigging involved.  I got to about lunch time and I could feel my forearms rapidly declining.  Got to 3pm at a stage where all the the brash was off with just a bunch of skinny poles to chog down but by this time my forearms had fatigued to the point of total failure.  Yep total failure, every time I attempted to grip something my forearms spasmed and cramped up.

Ashamed to admit I came down, it was literally not worth even attempting to carry on.  I wasn't going to get the whole job done anyway even if I did finish that tree, so will go back for a second day next week to bosh out the rest.

Bit embarrassing but thought i'd share.  Use it or lose it!!

Soooo, found you a new avatar.

846A79AE-4923-46D5-8661-7F4EB2E2261B.jpeg

• Haha 1