the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

I had to trim a broken twig on an ash, only about 4 inches thick maybe twenty five feet up. Spent two hours around yesterday trying to get my builders line tied to a hex-nut over the branch above it, with a toy catapult. Thank goodness nobody was watching.

Couldn't do it, so then tried for the lower branch, back from but close to, the broken twig as possible, thinking to cut it from underneath with my silky. Trouble was, the branch was curving in toward the tree and my rope kept slipping down toward the stem. I just could not get it to cinch where I wanted it to, the only place it would lodge was behind a knot, well out of arms reach of the broken twig. Once I got up there I realised I couldn't reach it, so I tried "walking" my anchor further up the branch, by using my lanyard and main anchor alternately. Gut busting effort, zero result.

So, defeated I went home. That was yesterday. This afternoon, I returned, equipped with my 131. Fired the line up tied to a roll of duct tape, got up there, strapped in, and just reached the twig with the pole saw at full extension. Bad angle on the cut, but job done.

Next items on the list are Takeuchi catapult, throw bags et al. Also, does anyone use a hook device for pulling themselves around in a tree? Bare in mind this is only my third climb.

Edited by David Humphries
Language

I had to trim a broken twig on an ash, only about 4 inches thick maybe twenty five feet up. Spent two hours around yesterday trying to get my builders line tied to a hex-nut over the branch above it, with a toy catapult. Thank goodness nobody was watching.

Couldn't do it, so then tried for the lower branch, back from but close to, the broken twig as possible, thinking to cut it from underneath with my silky. Trouble was, the branch was curving in toward the tree and my rope kept slipping down toward the stem. I just could not get it to cinch where I wanted it to, the only place it would lodge was behind a knot, well out of arms reach of the broken twig. Once I got up there I realised I couldn't reach it, so I tried "walking" my anchor further up the branch, by using my lanyard and main anchor alternately. Gut busting effort, zero result.

So, defeated I went home. That was yesterday. This afternoon, I returned, equipped with my 131. Fired the line up tied to a roll of duct tape, got up there, strapped in, and just reached the twig with the pole saw at full extension. Bad angle on the cut, but job done.

Next items on the list are Takeuchi catapult, throw bags et al. Also, does anyone use a hook device for pulling themselves around in a tree? Bare in mind this is only my third climb.

What a palaver lol. :thumbup1:

Whats your youtube link again mate? Remember a nice little vid you posted a while back involving a hand winch and plenty of grief.

What a palaver lol. :thumbup1:

Whats your youtube link again mate? Remember a nice little vid you posted a while back involving a hand winch and plenty of grief.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrHpSgjWVa1rm3aEYd5Ffvw

Yeah that was fun - love messing about with hand winches! Vid is on there somewhere amongst all the other nonsense.

3 days of epic strimming and vegetation hight adjustment. 0ae5f4e9dac8d59216e247382afcf7f1.jpgba7e6c6c2fec91307fbe6c4f5cf9d589.jpga99839d793ef2642eb89ca2173f1f116.jpg3c6cb0860a13ff2c70f78e7f9bc4863c.jpg9dcf9745d928d7823255c1ce641650f9.jpg85b04314416ed628a4ac212e05ff7893.jpg

Made an interesting chance but my knees are paying the price tonight.

I Wrecked 1 mulching blade and Ben drew the short straw and found the obligatory wasp nest, not easy to run away when your tethered and up to your waist in brambles and balsam.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Dmm have a product out called the captain throwing hook for traversing.Give yourself a bit of time to get used to climbing and all that comes with it.It does get easier with experience and you will get ideas for little homemade toys/gadgets that help older climbers out that struggle with certain things-for example i cant through worth a f#@!.

So i get round this by using ladders,extension poles or just good old fashioned throwing ahead.If its a big tree i get one of the lads to chuck the throwline up.