the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545537.615288.jpg.469fb61418a030ab8f1aabe2af66beda.jpg

A few from today if all goes to plan the large workforce will have covered 126 man hours on site.

The work were doing is for a new cycle path although I did wonder if a lot of the survey work was to create work. It just seemed some of the reductions weren't really needed. But hey ho if I didn't do it someone else would.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545483.034492.jpg.94dd1a52e6b6bfc8a1980d87487630b8.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545430.287627.jpg.bd652e63e17d8c2f748072cbe2cef6bf.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545384.589174.jpg.9ab0a7d6b307c0b315392c3ec92e312e.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545323.582772.jpg.0dd2fdf2b77392eb40eb4b1c81d5219f.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545264.141383.jpg.4c6e94223a2f6c08b2af78a63402e91e.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424545202.120485.jpg.87fbab93771f25d4ff32314902ef2930.jpg

[ATTACH]176972[/ATTACH][ATTACH]176973[/ATTACH][ATTACH]176974[/ATTACH][ATTACH]176975[/ATTACH][ATTACH]176976[/ATTACH][ATTACH]176977[/ATTACH][ATTACH]176978[/ATTACH]

A few from today if all goes to plan the large workforce will have covered 126 man hours on site.

The work were doing is for a new cycle path although I did wonder if a lot of the survey work was to create work. It just seemed some of the reductions weren't really needed. But hey ho if I didn't do it someone else would.

Quite heavy reductions judging by the photos!

Couldn't possibly comment on who I feel it maybe!?!

Am working on one at the moment have refused to do around half of it and a second survey is now being carried out. Really am struggling with the whole arb world stuff now, it's losing its way in a mess of litigation, tree safety and money making. How on earth do we all function in the past? Personally I think you need a real grounding in watching trees before you should commit yourself to survey work.

Couldn't possibly comment on who I feel it maybe!?!

Am working on one at the moment have refused to do around half of it and a second survey is now being carried out. Really am struggling with the whole arb world stuff now, it's losing its way in a mess of litigation, tree safety and money making. How on earth do we all function in the past? Personally I think you need a real grounding in watching trees before you should commit yourself to survey work.

I don't think it would take much to guess. Hahaha

Stunning weather last week for this task:

Not quite looking forward to this weeks weather though!

nice job - talking to a local tree surgeon about pollarding and he said pollard to a major fork as that's where the dormant buds are - in Brown/Kirkham - The Pruning of Trees Shrubs and Conifers there is a picture of a Populus sp p73 with caption death due to severe topping. Is that rare? I thought willow, poplar nearly always recovered even if it is cut down?

How about the limes - how do you know where you can cut to without killing it - is there a rule of thumb regarding height remaining as a ratio of previous height or similar?

nice job - talking to a local tree surgeon about pollarding and he said pollard to a major fork as that's where the dormant buds are - in Brown/Kirkham - The Pruning of Trees Shrubs and Conifers there is a picture of a Populus sp p73 with caption death due to severe topping. Is that rare? I thought willow, poplar nearly always recovered even if it is cut down?

How about the limes - how do you know where you can cut to without killing it - is there a rule of thumb regarding height remaining as a ratio of previous height or similar?

It's a keen observation.

Row of 10, locally, historically significant TPO'd trees.

The funny thing about TPO's, in my opinion, is that you can face prosecution for "doing" something unauthorised, but there is no penalty for NOT doing something that perhaps you should have done.

Best guess from ring count is +/-46 yrs on the re growth. That should have been re pollarded on a 3-5 yr cycle.

So, having visited the site (a school) on an unrelated matter, I asked if there was an inspection regime. The answer is self evident. So, 1 tree required a 5 day exemption due to the immediate hazard, since the TO visited to assess that app, he was able to take a view on the TPO app for reduction of the entire row.

Is it ideal to cut back that hard in one hit? Of course not. Was I surprised the TO approved it? Absolutely yes. I expected a staged reduction over maybe 6-10 yrs. But given the decay and historical construction stresses the trees had been exposed to and the high risk target areas for failure I can totally understand his decision.

I left as much of the smaller re growth as possible at the pollard head. Longer term prognosis for the entire row of 10? 50/50, maybe. There's fairly advanced decay, bacterial bleed and such a hard hit on the reductions... Time will tell.