BBC4 woodsman?

normandylumberjack

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jut watched this on iplayer and thought it was OK to a point. Think the main thing we're forgetting is that most of us on here only make up a tiny tiny proportion of the people who watched it and that we were always going to pick fault.

Thought the old guy who went felling with him was ace - tell he was a proper woodboss as it looked like his mitts and helmet had been dug out of the back of the shed specially for the cameras :thumbup1:

My worry is that, a bit like with the Kevin Mcloud thing, there's suddenly going to be a run of more wealthy people fancy a go and start pushing the price of woodland up further than it aready is and also start to see bigger blocks broke down into much smaller bits for peoples weekend woodland garden getaways. Some might think that's no bad thing but I'm not convinced.

I thought it was pretty good to be honest. He did admit many times that he is very green but he's having a go at doing something worthwhile so hats off to him. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

By the way, anyone think he had his head in the barbers chair removal position with that birch or was it just the camera angle?

Let's face it, the way they've been "managed" in such a neglected way in the past isn't such a good thing either. Almost anything has to be an improvement on that. either that of things will just stay the way they are, woods will decline further, and a great asset will eventually be lost. I feel in a way that this modern "trend" will be the new way, whether we like it or not. At least it will be managed, and maybe, just maybe, these wealthy types will turn to some of us for advice and assistance in the management of their wood, so we may well still have a part to play. And of course, this advice will come at a premium, won't it? :001_smile:

Let's face it, the way they've been "managed" in such a neglected way in the past isn't such a good thing either. Almost anything has to be an improvement on that. either that of things will just stay the way they are, woods will decline further, and a great asset will eventually be lost. I feel in a way that this modern "trend" will be the new way, whether we like it or not. At least it will be managed, and maybe, just maybe, these wealthy types will turn to some of us for advice and assistance in the management of their wood, so we may well still have a part to play. And of course, this advice will come at a premium, won't it? :001_smile:

Can see what you mean, but if we think some landowners are hard to deal with already, imagine what it'd be like dealing with those with tiny woodlands full of rubbish that they think they will make a mint out of. Can hear it now - "I know what I'm talking about, I've seen it on the telly" :lol:

Kevin McCloud, blowing up logs for the sake of entertainment! Did you see the drawbridge contraption? A broken jaw for someone the first time that bad-boy runs away. Must be tough trying to make engaging television out of activities that require a lot of time to accomplish. Fair play for trying tho.

when did Jimmys Farm go bust? It's still going well, trading well and has grown and grown as a business. I know in the first year or so the business foundered, and had to have more money put into it.

Glad to hear it, thanks for putting me right Andy. :001_smile:

Just another aside, and I'm sure many may agree, is that personally, I'd rather watch this kind of program anyday over X Factor and that kind of program. Then look at the entertainment value, the educational value, the discussion value of the program, it's got us talking!

The old boy reminds me of a dozen old boys that I've known in tree work, an old hard hat, ear defenders not really being worn, token Chainsaw protection for the cameras, contrived? Certainly, but it's done in good taste. Take off the professional spectacles, put on your slippers, feet up in front of the fire and enjoy something warming in your glass while watching it, it ain't so bad. :001_smile:

Just another aside, and I'm sure many may agree, is that personally, I'd rather watch this kind of program anyday over X Factor and that kind of program. Then look at the entertainment value, the educational value, the discussion value of the program, it's got us talking!

The old boy reminds me of a dozen old boys that I've known in tree work, an old hard hat, ear defenders not really being worn, token Chainsaw protection for the cameras, contrived? Certainly, but it's done in good taste. Take off the professional spectacles, put on your slippers, feet up in front of the fire and enjoy something warming in your glass while watching it, it ain't so bad. :001_smile:

Absolutely. I might not agree with bits of it but it's still about things I find interesting so no doubt I'll watch it again :001_smile:

Bet that old guy could still give plenty of us a run for our money - he might not move as fast but he'll make every movement count :thumbup1: