getting the confidence

frenchy

swinny, thats an idea. do you still use this method, and does anone else use this method

yeah still do this, although have changed to a 5m split tail insead of the 3.5m one.

I have 37m rope for most stuff, 10m rope for smaller tree's when no point coiling up the excess metre of rope + carrying it etc!! and the 5 m one :)

5m split tail is about 20 or 25 quid from f r jones and son :thumbup1:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself out for some recreational climbing if you can (not on your own) and practice little moves like taking your hands off everything, start to jump off branches from a small distance at first and witness how your gear does its job. A lot of new climbers hold onto the tree too much with their hands and always have their rope super tight, with just that bit of extra slack you can move around so much easier (no more than about 50cm though). I was terrible for both these factors when I started climbing and I would say I'm now competent for most jobs but by no means a great climber or particularly fast.

Lack of confidence is a vicious circle, the longer you look at a situation the more tense you become so its often best to have a burst of braveness and go for it, unless its particularly dangerous of course. If your in an awkward position and you need to use a saw don't just rush it to get it over with, think about your work position and how you could improve it, what could you strop into that would hold you a better position etc.

Skill and speed comes with time and practice mate, I'm still learning everytime I go up a tree, in my first 6 monthes I really wasn't sure if climbing was for me but I kept pushing myself and I'm now loving climbing big trees in NZ. So what I'm saying is keep pushing yourself, stick at it, calm yourself down when you feel uncomfortable and just hang in there, it WILL get better.

I would just practice not much else you can do, don't feel that there is a time limit when it comes to learning some people take to tree work incredibly quickly. I feel that what i imagine may happen Is alot worse than what will if the situation was to turn sour. Good rope angles and work positioning will help build confidence big trees arent any more dangerous just more tiring you can die falling ten ft or 100ft.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Frenchy

I've only been in the industry for a couple of years and previous advice i have had has included:

1. Get Aggressive - for dismantles just stand at the base look up and think buy the end of the day you will be gone! keep it up through out the climb but of course be safe!

2. Climb anything the boss throws at you - its all experience

3. Think of all the other guys in the world using the same kit as you - it will hold someone heavier

4. Have fun!

also what the other guys here have said. especially the singing part

Where u from mate and nobody starts good sometimes it takes either yourself or someone to push that bit far then your used to just get a nice high ancor excuse the spelling. just keep climbing and network with people on arbtalk look out for rec climbs to try different kit just wondering wot equipment do u use harness ropes and gadgets and gizmos