Powerline Identification

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think some folks on here should not get involved if they are not sure!

Some are saying it`s BT some are saying L.V insulated! some are saying get in touch with local power distribution.

If you dont know what the line is you will not have the qualification to fell less than 2 tree lengths.

As others have said there is a distance in meters from wooden and steel Pylons but Please dont push your luck and try to cut without asking first.

You cant see electricity, it dosnt smell and when you hear it its TO LATE!

your local electricty provider is willing to help, often it wont cost and the provider is there to keep the network safe!

Last thing they want is clueless peeps working to close to it and something goes wrong!

:thumbup1:

Some are saying it`s BT some are saying L.V insulated! some are saying get in touch with local power distribution.

If you dont know what the line is you will not have the qualification to fell less than 2 tree lengths.

As others have said there is a distance in meters from wooden and steel Pylons but Please dont push your luck and try to cut without asking first.

your local electricty provider is willing to help, often it wont cost and the provider is there to keep the network safe!

Last thing they want is clueless peeps working to close to it and something goes wrong!

I agree!!!

1.jpg.8a370b1fbebde9065a30f03ba202346f.jpg

This is 11kv running above lv

1a.jpg.0a2764596d5f4bf0cd737e0a1177fd2a.jpg

2.jpg.e5306d6a476cc16d3a8273b546e9e509.jpg

And this is open phase lv running above 11kv

2a.jpg.bf98d12f0ff7e04ca8038e4f238ff3e1.jpg

If not 100% sure, don't guess!!! Not worth the risk.

I agree!!!

[ATTACH]108074[/ATTACH]

This is 11kv running above lv

[ATTACH]108075[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108076[/ATTACH]

And this is open phase lv running above 11kv

[ATTACH]108077[/ATTACH]

If not 100% sure, don't guess!!! Not worth the risk.

Fair point, i did think that the 'BT' looked big.

Where about's in the country did you take these?

I've not seen 11kv run like that before, in either instance.

The Electricity Boards never cease to amaze me with some of the things they do.

Edited by dibnah1

last picture is 11kv over open lv over ABC,

it also has a 11kv underground service running from the 11kv, the Lv and ABC is not fed from the 11kv at this pole as there is no transformer!

Photos can be so deceptive as you cant look round to see what is on the next pole!

if in doubt think higher voltage to be safe

last picture is 11kv over open lv over ABC,

it also has a 11kv underground service running from the 11kv, the Lv and ABC is not fed from the 11kv at this pole as there is no transformer!

Photos can be so deceptive as you cant look round to see what is on the next pole!

if in doubt think higher voltage to be safe

I just cannot see why there is the LV running to those 11KV poles. Unless at some point in the past there used to be a transformer on it.

I just cannot see why there is the LV running to those 11KV poles. Unless at some point in the past there used to be a transformer on it.

:thumbup:

looking closer it might be they have had to put a bigger transformer on it bigger than pole mounted, so at the bottom of the pole there may be a ground mounted transformer. L.v might run down pole as well! not sure

As i said photos can be deceptive when you cant see the whole picture

All pictures were taken in North Norfolk, Kelling, near Holt and North Walsham.

It is a very odd arrangement, I guess things have been moved around and this was cheaper than a complete rebuild.

In the last picture the 11kv is running in the lower conductor for eight spans to a ground mounted transformer that supplies a hospital and the open phase lv that runs back along the same eight spans and runs off to other nearby houses.

I would guess the transformer used to be on the pole in the last picture and just supplied the houses. The hospital was built and due to voltage drop / three phase demand etc. they added the under slung 11kv to the gm tx and fed the lv back along the existing lv conductors to save money.

All pictures were taken in North Norfolk, Kelling, near Holt and North Walsham.

It is a very odd arrangement, I guess things have been moved around and this was cheaper than a complete rebuild.

In the last picture the 11kv is running in the lower conductor for eight spans to a ground mounted transformer that supplies a hospital and the open phase lv that runs back along the same eight spans and runs off to other nearby houses.

I would guess the transformer used to be on the pole in the last picture and just supplied the houses. The hospital was built and due to voltage drop / three phase demand etc. they added the under slung 11kv to the gm tx and fed the lv back along the existing lv conductors to save money.

First of all this would of been better posted in the utility forum, second the conductors are only insulated to protect the conductors nothing else, thirdly pm me if you want the UKPN (EDF) tree managers contact details.