My Land Rover Defender 130

madmatt

Ha ha lol now get back to the LRO forums ;)

See I wasn't kidding:) LOL! Thought about trading the rover in for an ark in june/july time!

What LRO?!!! Now you really are pulling my leg! there a right bunch of muppets!!

I'll stay over here thanks!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldn't legally run that behind a Land Rover it doesn't have any brakes and the trailer running gear won't be upto the sort of speed mentioned above.

If your using a landy like this for towing for business use it needs a tacho anyway (work in progeress!)

When I suggested a Hiab on the Ifor it was more for shifting the odd heavy lump of timber or heavy implements than for extraction.

I thought that if you had air spools fitted or the trailer had its own proper brakes, a 4.25ton trailer was allowed. If this is the case then a that extra capacity would be useful for carrying big wood.

Btw Matt. I have had a Quote from Milemarker for fitting everything and this included the PTO pump (Which gives the fastest speeds and allows a varied pull speed). I am wondering how you would go about running a seperate set of valves so I could run a log splitter from the same Pto pump. Oh, I have a 90 CSW with the 2.4TD Duratorque and it is excellent. I can not reccommend it enough. Jonathan

I thought that if you had air spools fitted or the trailer had its own proper brakes, a 4.25ton trailer was allowed. If this is the case then a that extra capacity would be useful for carrying big wood.

Btw Matt. I have had a Quote from Milemarker for fitting everything and this included the PTO pump (Which gives the fastest speeds and allows a varied pull speed). I am wondering how you would go about running a seperate set of valves so I could run a log splitter from the same Pto pump. Oh, I have a 90 CSW with the 2.4TD Duratorque and it is excellent. I can not reccommend it enough. Jonathan

If you have air actuated brakes fitted to a defender and trailer then yep you can tow a trailer grossing 4 ton. I still don't think you could tow the forestry trailer in the above post, I don't think it would meet construction and use regs. Its designed to be towed behind a tractor so tyres are unlikely to be speed rated high enough and it probably won't have suitable suspension to be towed at speed behind a land rover. Oh and a quick look at LR's spec list tells you are brakes on a defender are a 4grand optional extra!! That buy's me a fairly usefull Tractor LOL!

Jonathon, Glad you like the Duratorque, don't take my comments the wrong way, there is just a lot about the 07 Defender I don't like that puts me off, every time my neighbour comes home in his, I think the bloody pikeys are coming his sounds just like a transit!

I just bought the winch, PTO, Pump and valve block off Alfred Murray, I didn't have any hoses or the little tanks he offered me. I took what he supplied to my local HYD expert andluckily the valve they'd supplied was bankable, I.e you could unbolt and add a slice to give you more outputs from the valve block. This is what we did to achieve an auxilery circuit. Thats how you'd run a splitter uf that makes sense? I think you would need to check the size of tanks with an independant HYd engineer as winches tend to use fairly small tanks and splitters tend to have large ish rams.

If you are after an occasional use Hyd winch thats slim line and discreet I can't fault the milemarker but I wish I'd gone for the larger drummed Superwinch now. Good Luck with your project

I think your payload would be very poor, plus you would be required to run a tacho. Not sure if the axles are rated to the speeds they say either...

It doesn't give a spec on the website, but they did send some info. They do a fast tow version with overrun brakes, grosses at 3.2t. You don't need the tacho if you're doing forestry stuff within 100 km of your base. It still doesn't stack up, though..the payload can only be 2t or so, and It would cost me over 20p a mile just in fuel to drag it around.