My Land Rover Defender 130

madmatt

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt they have flaws, its a shame Land rover can't get there heads around proper tight fitting doors and sound proofing. I do like the complete lack of air con, electric windows, sunroofs etc as I just think its more to go wrong in years to come. the new defender has a 6 speed box this should have been brought in 15 years ago!

In my opinion there is now't wrong with the engines up until TD5, 200/300TDI's are good reliable hard working units.

Thanks for all the comments folks.

not so sure about the ford 2.4 duratorque engine though. Any reviews yet?

Drove one last week, it pulls low down better than a TD5 but I'd still sooner have a 300TDI just to avoid that bloody bulge in the bonnet! Seriously though ford had many problems with this engine in its early days so I'm not holding my breath!

Various home made crap really. I've got a few chipper roller motors that might make a capstan winch, I was also wondering if I could knock up some sort of log loader. Now I've seen your log splitter, I want one of those as well!

Lol!! I know what you mean! I want to put a Hiab on the ifor williams and run it off the PTO!

As long as their built by english workers, they'll be rubbish.

I don't fully agree with that either. It's more the design of the thing is very dated, and doesn't lend itself to modern assembly. They were designed more or less in the 50s and 60s, when complex machining time was expensive and manual labour time was cheap, so it's made up of many simple components. Nowadays, machine time is cheap and labour is expensive, so the LR design must be a total pain to assemble compare to something modern. That's good for us, though, cos they're like big meccano sets, you can bolt all sorts of stuff to them with relative ease.

At one point, I was thinking of getting one of these trailers You can get trailer mounted powerpacks, but hydraulics on the landrover would be better. OK, not as versatile in the woods with a landrover compared to a tractor, but as soon as you're out and onto the road, you can be straight up to 50 mph.

Not so viable now when you consider the cost of it plus fuel at over £1/l