Generator literally flooding?

mikecotterill

Hi anyone heard of this, generator at work was difficult to pull, so got asked to look at it, apparently it started but smoked then stopped. Anyway had a quick look and the pull start was very stiff as it went through compression could hear a squishing, so thought the cylinder was full of oil. But had a look at the oil level/stick and when I undid it petrol literally poured out. Any ideas? Seems to me the petrol is literally running from the tank into the cylinder. It's a hire machine so ill never know the reason just interested

If it has a rule bowl on the carb it could be the float valve allowing fuel to constantly allow fuel to pass through instead of stopping it when the bowl is full. The fuel bowl is at the bottom of the carb. Sounds like the problem to me.

2nd this if its a honda will have a little rubber tipped float needle. From experience if you dont change the needle and seat problem will come back.

Probably transported with the fuel tap turned on.The float bounces up and down with the vibration and slowly lets the fuel into the carb and then on down into the sump. We've had it with several Hondas that have emptied the whole tank into the oil.Before you delve too deep drain it out and refill with oil and then try it.

• 1 month later...
Probably transported with the fuel tap turned on.The float bounces up and down with the vibration and slowly lets the fuel into the carb and then on down into the sump. We've had it with several Hondas that have emptied the whole tank into the oil.Before you delve too deep drain it out and refill with oil and then try it.

Transporting quads produces the same problem, I sometimes clamp off the fuel line.