drugs at work!!!!!

simonm

After taking an apprentice on 5 months ago I was outraged to discover he had been taking drugs whilst on site @ work! This was while I was dismanteling a row of large connifers down the side of a main road! He was completely out of it couldn't speak and was falling infront of on comming traffic! If it wasn't for the actions of my father he would of caused serious injury! I've bent over backwards for this lad! Picked him up dropped him off spent hours an hours training him up! I've spent just over a grand on ppe work wear and a new saw for him to use. I sacked him instantly which has left me right in the **** work wise. Has this happend to anyone before? And what was your reaction?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After taking an apprentice on 5 months ago I was outraged to discover he had been taking drugs whilst on site @ work! This was while I was dismanteling a row of large connifers down the side of a main road! He was completely out of it couldn't speak and was falling infront of on comming traffic! If it wasn't for the actions of my father he would of caused serious injury! I've bent over backwards for this lad! Picked him up dropped him off spent hours an hours training him up! I've spent just over a grand on ppe work wear and a new saw for him to use. I sacked him instantly which has left me right in the **** work wise. Has this happend to anyone before? And what was your reaction?

I think you did the right thing by sacking him.

I never employed anyone who blatently took drugs on site, but worked with a few in one company. The worst one was their star climber, who seemed to have to skin up every time there was any chance of being bored with the work (eg hedge cutting rather than climbing).

The boss knew, but this climber was fast (albeit pretty reckless), and make the firm plenty of money.

If your in trouble rehire him tomorrow and make it perfectly clear that drugs have no place in the workplace. If he does it anymore he's out on his backside.

Failing that there are plenty of groundies on here or elsewhere that would bite your hand off for a job and they would probably have there own ppe.

Over a grand on ppe?? Was it gold?

What was he on ?

I once made a guy stand in the corner for a day after he toked up a spliff and started chipping in to a truck that was not there and had gone off to be emptied ! We let him go as he could not stop smoking at work and was doing some really stupid things.

I have given talkings to but a lot of guys I know smoke dope on the job but not on my sites that is made clear it is no different from having a few drinks in the pub at lunch and IMO not acceptable if in the work place.

Not in an arb workplace but work with heavy equipment - I have sacked workers for turning up at work drunk or not fit to work through the after effects - it is your job against theirs, if there is an accident and they have more than two days off work through injury then the following H&S enquiry will do you no favours and you may well be found to be liable!

Do yourself a favour and spend your time with someone that wants to work IMO, on in ten is the perfect fit, four are acceptable and the other five are pretty crap and feel that three days a week is about right for attendance!

Get the right person and it is like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

There is no place for drink or drugs in the workplace.

Massive no no bud, i never taken anything and hardly work with guys that take anything, or smoke the 1 at a weekend. I wouldnt beable to trust the guy if i knew. End of the day its ur business and ur neck on the line.lettin him go may have given him a kick up the backside and he may have learnt from it, also it seems that it pis*ed u off due to the amount of time u gave up for him. If u need him put him on a trail with a keen understanding of what u expect. If not as said theres plenty of lads on here that will fill his boots.

Good luck bud

Well done for acting swiftly and taking no nonsense. No place whatsoever for drink or drugs at work.

Personally I dispise drugs.......I have seen first hand what a devastating effect they can have on peoples lives, but thats a whole other topic!! I shall now get off my high horse and relax in the bath after getting soaked to the skin today.