small / medium size splitter waste

David Riding

When splitting arb waste into 1 meter + billets, ending up with small slithers and pieces that are not a good log size is unavoidable due to knots run of grain etc. Obviously some waste is so thin / small its useless. But what to you guys to with the medium size stuff that is 1-3 inch thick, do you market it as a product between kindling and the decent sized logs or make it into kindling??

The processor produces similar tat, it all goes in the load and I take a bag / sack with me and when unloading scoop it up and give it to them as a bag of kindling come fire starting bits. Yet to get anything but a positive response on handing it over.

The processor produces similar tat, it all goes in the load and I take a bag / sack with me and when unloading scoop it up and give it to them as a bag of kindling come fire starting bits. Yet to get anything but a positive response on handing it over.

This is what I have been doing even if I only get a few quid for it. When I first started selling firewood I use to mix a bit into the bulk bags but out of the first 30 bulk bags I sold atleast half complained about the small stuff. Specially the ones burning with coal. Other half were ok with it for reasons mentioned above. You can never please every one. Some of the varieties of logs I have supplied this week that have been specified:

18 inch 6 inch thick

18 inch 10 inch thick (huge open fire)

6 inch logs

8 inch logs

12 inch logs

10 inch half dried!!!

6 inch soft wood

Have you got an excess of firewood round you? People round here are accepting, uncut lengths of green (barely touched the ground!) beech and asking for more - getting £50 a pick up load. When I get a firewood enquiry I tell them that I do 8-10" or longer on request, smaller offcuts if I've got them. I aint short of customers, I'm short of seasoned hardwood.

One guy said he wanted 8-10" logs delivered, but no sycamore as "it does not burn", but he was happy with chestnut or poplar(!?!). I turned up with 4" thick split oak branches dry as you like, he looked at them and said they were too small and would only pay 50% of the price for the load. I thanked him for his time, re-loaded the logs and haven't been back. I hope he's nice and warm:sneaky2:

Have you got an excess of firewood round you? People round here are accepting, uncut lengths of green (barely touched the ground!) beech and asking for more - getting £50 a pick up load. When I get a firewood enquiry I tell them that I do 8-10" or longer on request, smaller offcuts if I've got them. I aint short of customers, I'm short of seasoned hardwood.

One guy said he wanted 8-10" logs delivered, but no sycamore as "it does not burn", but he was happy with chestnut or poplar(!?!). I turned up with 4" thick split oak branches dry as you like, he looked at them and said they were too small and would only pay 50% of the price for the load. I thanked him for his time, re-loaded the logs and haven't been back. I hope he's nice and warm:sneaky2:

thats funny!! i had one the other day;

"what type of logs?"

"ash,oak,beech mixed,all seasoned"

"is it dry?"

"yes its seasoned"

"have you any hardwood?"

"yes,ash oak etc etc"

"how do i pay?"

"cash on delivery"

"ok,i'll have a cheque ready"

give me strength :scared1:

To be honest I have most of the little bits or the bits that are too knarley to split to a good size and provide for my heating. Some smaller stuff gets thrown in with a load but not much. Other waste was getting burnt in a bin to keep me warm when its really cold at the yard but some swine bag has nicked the bin and had the cheek to tip the ash over the yard.