willow pollard??

Arb123

Theres fair sized Willows and theres fair sized Willows. I've done plenty of 80ft crack Willows in the past that I certainly wouldn't have described as 'easy trees'. They can be gits to knock out big pieces without splitting and tearing if you aren't experienced. If in doubt please climb a little higher and knock out smaller lumps

Theres fair sized Willows and theres fair sized Willows. I've done plenty of 80ft crack Willows in the past that I certainly wouldn't have described as 'easy trees'. They can be gits to knock out big pieces without splitting and tearing if you aren't experienced. If in doubt please climb a little higher and knock out smaller lumps

I shouldn't have said easy :o I thought a fair size pollard 'should' be easy. If its been done before, great. If not and its proper big

then its lop and top = bigger stem wood and a bit trickier.

Also by 3 or 4 years climbing in my experience it should be fairly straight forward provided there's no awkward rigging.

The OP will have a second climber/arial rescue present? How experienced are they, second opinion and moral support always good :thumbup:

I've seen people come a little unstuck on "easy" trees, never get complacent.

Very true, a workmate nearly lost his arm up a 20 foot pine a couple years ago. An easy tree turned red and sticky very quickly. Scary. Expect the unexpected and have a first did kit suited to chainsaw injuries even on small domestic or private jobs. It really would save your life...

Good luck btw! Im sure you'll breeze it really:thumbup::cool:

the bark tears easily and can pull you down the stem if you don't put your ears in it when felling out tops.

Light wood for holding pieces, If it a re-pollard inspect the attachment points fro the new to old growth before tying in.

Good advice. The wood is snappy and the bark peels. It is predictably unpredictable when the hinge will go! So don't rely on the hinge alone to swing a long branch where you want it, pull/lowering ropes or cut and Chuck smaller bits :thumbup: