Imported kiln dried logs - does anyone actualy buy them?

ash_smith123

People these days do NOT want a pile of logs tipped on their drive.

Where do you get this assumption from ?

I must know (or know of) at least ten firewood merchants around this way who only do loose loads tipped on the customers drive.

The only exception to this is Chris Gagen (hullsmillfarm) who stores his logs in m3 vented bags (i'm not sure if he delivers them in the bag or not)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People these days do NOT want a pile of logs tipped on their drive.

Where do you get this assumption from ?

I must know (or know of) at least ten firewood merchants around this way who only do loose loads tipped on the customers drive.

The only exception to this is Chris Gagen (hullsmillfarm) who stores his logs in m3 vented bags (i'm not sure if he delivers them in the bag or not)

Customer response when I deliver, just ask the lady of the household when her logs are rolled into her garage on a pump truck and left neat and tidy without her or her old man having to lift a finger.

I have never had a customer go back to buying loose after buying in a bag. It stands you out as being different so you are not judged on price alone. All about added value.

I process straight into cube meter bags, store and deliver in those same bags.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Customer response when I deliver, just ask the lady of the household when her logs are rolled into her garage on a pump truck and left neat and tidy without her or her old man having to lift a finger.

I have never had a customer go back to buying loose after buying in a bag. It stands you out as being different so you are not judged on price alone. All about added value.

I process straight into cube meter bags, store and deliver in those same bags.

A

I would say customers dont care how it comes as long as its fully seasoned quality timber. We did ask what customers would like before we committed to the tipper. But some even said there is no way they wanted a builders bag of logs dumped on their drive or left in their way in the garage. With the supermarkets cutting down on packaging it just flys in the face of public opinion. Most people stack their logs in a corner out the way as soon as they arrive. If they want the bags it would suit me down to the ground as we may be selling most of the kit soon anyway.

pump truck might work on 2 or 3 of our deliveries, about fifty percent of our deliverys we wheelbarrow to the log store and stack but there are 2 of us 1 barrowing and one stacking the rest of the deliveries are tipped onto the drive. We do get alot of tea and cake for our stacking activities.:thumbup:

No they want the best wood at bargain basement prices.

Most are looking for that but have got fed up of being caught with a load of 35% MC logs that wont burn. There will always be a market for crap as there will always be a market for a quality product.

A

• 8 months later...

For me, it's a no brainer....kiln dried logs are far superior to seasoned logs and a pleasure to burn...and for around the same price. I don't really buy the environmental argument either since most imported wood comes in by container ship which has a fairly low carbon footprint....eg vs hauling long distances via road all across the UK which a lot of the UK-sourced wood suppliers have to do anyway and is no better IMO

I've purchased from The Luxury Wood Company a few times now and been thoroughly impressed. I haven't found anyone cheaper on the web yet and they seem to be the best value for money:

www.luxurywood.co.uk

Check them out. HTH :thumbup:

For me, it's a no brainer....kiln dried logs are far superior to seasoned logs and a pleasure to burn...and for around the same price. I don't really buy the environmental argument either since most imported wood comes in by container ship which has a fairly low carbon footprint....eg vs hauling long distances via road all across the UK which a lot of the UK-sourced wood suppliers have to do anyway and is no better IMO

I've purchased from The Luxury Wood Company a few times now and been thoroughly impressed. I haven't found anyone cheaper on the web yet and they seem to be the best value for money:

www.luxurywood.co.uk

Check them out. HTH :thumbup:

How is a kiln dried log @ 20% mc better than air dried @ 20% please (bugs dont count) and what species hardwoods did you supply yourself with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk