boiler stoves

You only actually need an airvent if you live in a modern hermetically sealed house. If you've any concerns buy a carbon monoxide alarm.

For a big boiler stove I'd recommend an Aarow Stratford TF70 or TF90, I wouldn't fancy taking a gamble on a no-name stove at that kind of money!

Wrong, all stoves over 5kw need an air vent in any building, in sealed houses ALL stoves of any size need a vent. The vent must to in an outside wall and must be located in the room where the stove is located. A carbon monoxide alarm is also now a legal requirement, again must beb located in the room where the stove is.

The stove in the pic looks like a chinese copy of the Broseley 30B

Hercules 30B Boiler Stove | Broseley Fires

Ironic as the Broseley is also chinese but of decent quality. Company selling seem to be a bit iffy by the looks of their other items, I suspect they are selling an ex display model and they are based in Ireland so you will have maybe £100 carriage.

I would suggest that if you already have a condensing boiler in your house that you speak to a good plumber before going any further. Providing you have a cold water tank in the loft then the plumbing is reasonably straight forward but if you dont then one would need to be installed to allow excess heat to escape in the event of a power cut. Condensing systems are pumped, no power = no water flow=boiler stove that will boil about 5 mins after the power cut, create steam, possibly explode.

The Esse Centralizer or a similar device from Dunsley could be needed.

A

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know, but the building regs are a 'one size fits all' nonsense. The reality is that you don't need a vent if the property is already well ventilated.

What exactly do you mean by 'signing off'?

installing a stove comes under Building Control regualtions, this is a legal statute, failure to comply with it could lead to a fine of over 4k.

When the stove is installed someone needs to sign the installation off as being safe to use. No sign off then no insurance if you ever have a fire and you will then also be prosecuted fro breech of building regs on top, 4k fine.

A Building Inspector is qualified to sign off an installation as safe if indeed it is and has been installed to approved Doc J, as it a Hetas registered installer. A Hetas installer will not usually sign off other peoples work as he/she is legally liable for the consequences if the system is actually not safe or fails due to poor quality parts such as those commonly found on the web being used.

The decision on a vent comes down to the installer, if he is happy that the existing ventilation is permanently open and complies with the regs then he may sign it off. BUT the stove you are looking at is big, I suspect 20-30kw, the free air requirement in laymans terms is about 1 x 22mm diameter plumbing pipe per kw above 5kw. We would probably core drill a 127mm hole in the wall and install a standard Stadium vent with anti draft baffles. A few holes under doors etc would not be enough draft.

A

A

Edited by Alycidon

Wouldn't a batch wood gasification boiler be better alternative for something of that size?

Kocio? zgazuj?cy drewno Orlan Super 25kW

Orlan Super 25Kw + Akvaterm 2000 litre installation blog

I was just thinking wouldn't you have to kart a large volume of wood into the lounge to keep that monster size stove feed constanly?

cost alot more over all though i suppose.

Edited by face cord

Wouldn't a batch wood gasification boiler be better alternative for something of that size?

Kocio? zgazuj?cy drewno Orlan Super 25kW

Orlan Super 25Kw + Akvaterm 2000 litre installation blog

I was just thinking wouldn't you would have to kart a large volume of wood into the lounge to keep that monster size stove feed constanly?

Yes it would, and be 5% VAT possably. Just wont be as nice to look at.

A

Wrong, all stoves over 5kw need an air vent in any building, in sealed houses ALL stoves of any size need a vent.

There's a big difference between 'need' and 'the regulations say you should have one'. If there's already sufficient ventilation there isn't any point in adding more for any reason other than to satisfy the regulations.

There's a big difference between 'need' and 'the regulations say you should have one'. If there's already sufficient ventilation there isn't any point in adding more for any reason other than to satisfy the regulations.

Agreed, its the installers call, he has the legal liability to sign it off as safe to use. I am assuming that most houses are reasonably air tight.

A

• 2 weeks later...
You only actually need an airvent if you live in a modern hermetically sealed house. If you've any concerns buy a carbon monoxide alarm.

For a big boiler stove I'd recommend an Aarow Stratford TF70 or TF90, I wouldn't fancy taking a gamble on a no-name stove at that kind of money!

I would say get a TF90 to but you still will need a lot of wood to keep the heat up

installing a stove comes under Building Control regualtions, this is a legal statute, failure to comply with it could lead to a fine of over 4k.

When the stove is installed someone needs to sign the installation off as being safe to use. No sign off then no insurance if you ever have a fire and you will then also be prosecuted fro breech of building regs on top, 4k fine.

A Building Inspector is qualified to sign off an installation as safe if indeed it is and has been installed to approved Doc J, as it a Hetas registered installer. A Hetas installer will not usually sign off other peoples work as he/she is legally liable for the consequences if the system is actually not safe or fails due to poor quality parts such as those commonly found on the web being used.

The decision on a vent comes down to the installer, if he is happy that the existing ventilation is permanently open and complies with the regs then he may sign it off. BUT the stove you are looking at is big, I suspect 20-30kw, the free air requirement in laymans terms is about 1 x 22mm diameter plumbing pipe per kw above 5kw. We would probably core drill a 127mm hole in the wall and install a standard Stadium vent with anti draft baffles. A few holes under doors etc would not be enough draft.

A

A

Having run a 20KW stove for the last 20 years without the benefit of an outside vent I can assure you that a few holes under doors etc provide more than adequate draft.

Cheers

mac

Having run a 20KW stove for the last 20 years without the benefit of an outside vent I can assure you that a few holes under doors etc provide more than adequate draft.

Cheers

mac

I am sure they will but the building regualtions have to be adhered to by whoever is installing the appliance. If you dont have it properly signed off (and you wont get it signed off without permanently open air supply the size of which is acertained by the output of the stove, allow roughly 1x 22mm dia plumbing per per kw over 5kw) ) and you have a fire then your insurer will walk, you will then be prosecuted for breech of building regs.

A hole in the wall or under the door would meet the regs if big enough.

A

Agreed, its the installers call, he has the legal liability to sign it off as safe to use. I am assuming that most houses are reasonably air tight.

A

:lol::lol::lol::lol: we are talking about british buildings here - airtightness requirements are causing the UK building industry a few headaches and generating a lot of resistance