Small arb business owners - please help me with my project!

Ginja

Hello,

I'm doing a project for college, in it I'm researching possible ways of reducing the amount of time spent doing admin (typing up quotes, scheduling work, maintenance logs, loler etc) for small to medium enterprises in arboriculture.

As an attempt at initial research, could you take the time to tell me what would make your admin easier and more efficient and what problems you feel you face with regard to admin? What really bugs you and takes up too much time?

If you would be happy to take part in a more in depth survey to help me with my research and project, please pm me with an email address I can contact you on.

I need all the help I can get!

Many thanks

Charlie Hocknell

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would once have said health and safety took too much brainpower but its basically a question of getting your head round it and it all eventually slots into place.

I spend about 100 to 200 miles a day driving. The bigger you spread your net the harder it is to keep in touch with all areas. It pays but I would like to cut down the time spent on the road. But we are a customer focused firm and try whenever possible to meet up with the customer at their convenience not ours. But yes, getting around quicker would be good.

I would also like a switch in my brain that allowed me to enjoy doing paperwork and not just spend time here on Arbtalk avoiding it.

Thank you for answering :)

Apart from suggesting you get a motorbike to get around quicker I can't help with the time on the road issue.

But what is it about paperwork you try to avoid so badly, which area? Is it quotes, tpo apps, invoicing? What really takes up too much time and bugs you when you'd much rather be on arbtalk?

Charlie :)

The bill from the tax man is usually avoided at all costs. I try to loose it down the sofa but the other half always finds it. :lol:

Actually typing out quotes and trying to remember what you saw and thought is usually hard, especially when you have looked at more than one in a day.

The bill from the tax man is usually avoided at all costs. I try to loose it down the sofa but the other half always finds it. :lol:

Actually typing out quotes and trying to remember what you saw and thought is usually hard, especially when you have looked at more than one in a day.

Good stuff, thanks. More comments like that would be greatly appreciated. That's something I'm intent on finding a solution to. But would you pay for a solution?

Programmes are huge business, the iPad and iPhone with apps are the way forward, using iCloud to send all your stuff to the PC and printers is vital.

Any apps that produce blanks that all you have to is fill in the gaps with what you need to would be perfect, various apps like on for quotes on tree work, garden work, landscaping. Etc. then others for h and s stuff like risk assessments.

Having blanks saves typing time.