selective weedkiller

carlos

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grazon is pretty hardcore stuff to be using on a lawn, unless it's severley infested with well established weeds. I'm also pretty certain it has been withdrawn from sale now.

Anything with 2 4-D or mcpa will do the job and will probably be one or both of the active ingredients of what you buy, just in different volumes.

I have used various agricultural type products close to newley planted and well established trees and hedgerows with no detremental effects to either, having said that following the basic rules about wind, weather conditions and margins should keep you and your trees out of harm.

If the problem is bad, there should be nothing wrong with giving an autumn spray followed by a spring one to get total control, although the window for autumn spraying is closing rapidly. No point applying unless its growing well.

Check out progreen and mole valley farmers, both have plenty of options and fair prices.

Tony- this is a good subject for hortics to understand as they generally ignore trees when spraying.

All lawn weedkillers are systemmic so they should not affect the roots of trees. Unless the roots are surface or very close to surface. Is there any evidence that systemmic weedkiller affects tree roots. If so I would like to see it.

I have some anecdotal, theoretical, man down the pub type evidence that it may affect mychorizae (sp) and therefore tree roots by association.

Observed thinner growth rings on oak which coincided with spraying of roundup.

It was in France too, just to add to its credibility:001_smile:

Gutted to hear about your yew hedge Dean...so lovingly grown from cuttings.

I've just had another look and there,s two or three look fine then two or three struggling then fine again buy where they are struggling there's evidence of mole activity.

With it being clay soil, I rotavatored a trench then added compost to condition the soil, I think maybe the mole is following the trench and damaging the roots an maybe not caused by the Tordon ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348663956.966806.jpg.2cc0d27f95eb5ca4c3b44d3c07a4c89b.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348664080.902500.jpg.13071edad9fdcef1be44c7d9fb184ddd.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348664141.611326.jpg.c04c39ce833164b617e56f2f0f96ff33.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348664401.884483.jpg.30f704d5242ae464d528cc445caed769.jpg

How big is your lawn

Is it domestic or agricultural/paddock

If it's small and you live up north- garden centre in the spring for feed and weed

If down south- selective verdone or if you are pro sprayer then consult pro green for your individual requirements.

If a paddock- Grazon - only to actively growing sward. Be quick to buy as Nov deadline.

If just docks then what about spot treat with roundup or cut lower and more regular- they don't manifest in regular cut grass.

Anything else just ask.

Could be a night out with the shotgun mate.

You should put those pics on an arborist website and get some advice.:001_smile:

Don't suppose you have enough spares in the nursery?

I kind of ruling out the selective Weed killer now on closer inspection :001_rolleyes:

Non left now, may have to buy some in or power grow them on 20 on 4 off through winter, which will probably cost more in electric than it will to buy them

sorry for the slight derail albeit related