Are logs worth doing anymore ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If theres anyone on here wants free wood from our tree surgery work then PM me- we regularly work a long way from our base and getting rid of it to someone who will collect would suit us fine.

Our area would be SE London Thanesmead down to Gillingham plus Sevenoaks/ Tonbridge/Crowborough Maidstone Tunbridge Wells and all points in between and some further west & East.

You'd have to come while we were on site.

• 3 years later...
I enjoy producing logs for easy going friendly folk. But the more I look at the process and the figures the less sense it makes as we go on. Especially buying in cord wood. With pellets and chip all subsidised with grants it is making logs an expensive fuel. Logs take along time to season. the end product is more difficult to load and the sizes are more difficult to control. The customer accepts his heating bill will be £1200 for the year but only wants to spend £60 on his load of logs. The cost of log processing equipment is getting so expensive the cost of large chippers looks more reasonable. It takes hours to convert an arctic load of timber in to pellets or chip rather than days to turn into logs. I doubt chip customers run at you with a moisture meter screaming theres birch in there :biggrin:

Hi Steve it makes me wonder sometimes thanks John

I stopped advertising logs last year, I don't buy cord in anymore as its just not worth it. I use the timber I get from tree jobs and process as and when. I have a small group of customers maybe about 30 -40 that buy logs throughout the year.