A new age in chainsaw milling dawns with the Granberg Flip and Rip

Rob D

sorry to burst everyones bubble, but this type of rail csm has been on the go in the usa for years now, if you look on you tube youll find dozens of versions of the designfrom tiny little portable ones to monsters using large 4stroke engines to drive them, the BIG question is just how portable is granbergs design, and how long does it take to set up on site, does it produce boards any quicker, or better than any of the saw benches, or mills on the market at the moment. I will watch this one develop with interest as I myself mill some big logs,

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to burst everyones bubble, but this type of rail csm has been on the go in the usa for years now, if you look on you tube youll find dozens of versions of the designfrom tiny little portable ones to monsters using large 4stroke engines to drive them, the BIG question is just how portable is granbergs design, and how long does it take to set up on site, does it produce boards any quicker, or better than any of the saw benches, or mills on the market at the moment. I will watch this one develop with interest as I myself mill some big logs,

Not something that anyone is going to argue with, but the innovative aspect of this mill is the way it flips through 90% very easily.

I have an early model phototype, and can attest to the fact that if you are wanting to cut smaller dimensioned timber, the flip aspect of it is ideal. It's as quick as rotating a log on the woodmizer.

I only use mine as a wide slabbing mill, as the bandmill does the rest. It's additionally very useful for breaking logs into halves for further sawing.

The quality of the cut is what sets it apart from the normal Alaskan mill. As the saw is locked into a frame and on rails, the finish is almost perfect, with none of the trademark deeper gouges causes by small jumps of the mill with the normal Alaskan.

I would strongly recommend one as a means of producing a reasonable quantity of good quality timber. It is effortlessly easy to operate, and doesn't leave you needing hand, wrist and elbow transplants at the end of a working day in the way an Alaskan mill can! :laugh1:

sorry to burst everyones bubble, but this type of rail csm has been on the go in the usa for years now,

No bubbles burst - Granberg have been making CSMs in the US for 40 years (need to confirm exact date) - there is nothing like this available.

There are loads of other versions of CSM using a frame in the US (there's even one here in the UK) - but these are mainly home made jobs - I don't know of many that are accessible and on the market.

However all tend towards a fully static set up using heavy angle iron. They are not portable and use only a large chainsaw for all out slabbing.

The way the saw flips from horizontal to vertical is unique and also this model is now close to being a production model. It's easy to build something that works, much harder to build something that you can then make easily.

:001_smile:

as I said Rob, I will be watching this one with great interest, portability, and ease of setup being paramount as a great deal of where I mill isnt the most accesable of sites, a combination of M7 and big mill means i can get most places, but I am always looking for a "better" setup, so much so that I am in the process of building my own bandmill, biased towards the ability to get it into places that would prove impossible for whats out there at the moment.

• 3 months later...

Bump again.

I just realized:blushing: this Granberg "flip and Rip" is essentially a bandsaw mill set up............ except using a chainsaw as the cutter instead of the bandsaw.

Am I correct in understanding that the potential problems with a narrow blade bandsaw mill are most likely to be due to the "band" wandering due to poor sharpening, incorrect tension, undue forward pressure etc etc.

I presume the more rigid chainsaw bar is less susceptible to such deviations, especially if supported at the end of the bar as with the Grandberg.

(but optional on the Logosol?)

I always like to know the "why"

cheers (again)

M

No worrys!

I've been using the F-n-R for the last couple of months and all the basics are there but it still needs a little tweaking... small things like sawdust getting in the box which then stops you rotating the saw so you have to stop, undo screws and blow out... line adjustment on the horizontal needs re thought slightly... and a few more things...

It's all coming along but it's got to be right and although small things to fix it needs to be solid and robust as when it's raining and something is not working right is frustrating...

I have a bandsaw and have yet to cut any wood where the band wanders.... sharp blade and slow progress seems to cut straight as anything.... but I've not cut any tricky wood yet... !

But still a way off I'm afraid... one thing is I think it will be very easy to drop the mill onto an Alaskan and use that for large slabbing.

:biggrin:

• 2 months later...