The road to being your own boss!!!

blackopsarborist

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is myself really, i have always had a steady job at a tree firm and have been a lead climber for 4 years now.

My main gripe is job security. Tis better to have a steady job than no job at all.

I would be working mainly as a subbi, but would keep an eye open for private work.

Have just spent a small fortune on powerlines tickets but i am loathed to go and do it because the of the job satisfaction.

just getting feedback at the moment on peoples thoughts and ideas regarding subbi work.

Backpain- what you say is to true about the type of work. but is the job satisfaction better than being in a steady job doing the usual???

Cheers Dave

I can't imagine job satisfication comes into it much when you have bills to pay and food to buy.

Its hard graft for a few years, building up clients/trust. big investment, small return for first few years. Its not all about pruning big Oaks etc. removing bushes, trimming Landies, ground clearance, removing brambles, scrub etc to pay for chipper. get a nice reduction or dismantle once in a while. Keep vehicle and saws working, doing the paper work, keeping your partner/employee with work and wages. paying vat/tax. Where is my next job? Wife/girlfriend happy? yes its worth it, but stressful. best of luck.

Ii think being self employed is something you really have to "want". Being a subby you are doing the same as being employed, but without the benefits of employment. Add up what your employment is worth in your current position, including holiday pay and other advantages, especially as you a lead climber. Can you expect you expect to earn close to that amount day in day out? My opinion, give the current climate, you have a regular job, keep it. Review things in a couple of years, see f tye climate picks up.

Being self employed...for me... is not just about profit and loss in money terms.

It's about TIME...and how much of your life you wan't to sell for bugger all money to someone else for their gain and not yours.

Being self employed can buy you time to use as you see fit... I have long weekends all the time.

Just got back from golf in fact:001_smile:

Same for me as albedo it about the choice to do a little tree in the morning grind the stump £145 home by 11.30 take daughter swiming nip back out little hedge cutting job home by 6 happy day, not all are like this but its my choice to make the time and work jobs to suit me. Being a subby is strange not all jobs are horrors and it can be nice working with different people but frustrating when they are not used to how you do things.

My biggest regret about being self employed..... Not doing it years ago!