The road to being your own boss!!!

blackopsarborist

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it!!!! Where I'm from subbed work seems impossible to get.do you have a steady job at the mo. jake:001_cool:

personally i think theres a fair bit around the south west,do you just do bristol area then? OP i ve always been self employed and i love it,ring around and see if anyone will give you the odd day and take it from there,you wont regret it:001_smile:

By being your own boss I take it you mean working for yourself, which in my view isn't about being a "subbi" which is still working for someone else and in most cases as and when they want you and usually you end up doing the jobs no else can do. Therefore you need to behot in and out of a tree.

On the other hand, if you want to be your own boss you will need to find your own work, or your work will need to find you which ever way you look at it you will be faced with managing your own new business development through advertising and networking.

The up shoot is that you will need to work hard to find work and even harder to secure it against the competition. Can you manage running a business and balance the books? If you can you'll be rich just like me (lol) if you can't you'll need a steady well paid job with some moron!

You can obtain business training skill along the way, but along with your tree climbing skills you will need a good professional sales attitude to keep things going. That way people will recommend you and the work will just keep rolling in.

Also, look at your business plan.....do you intend to only do tree's. I ask this because I also do some small mowing contracts through the summer which plug the holes and some logs in winter which pay for us to go to Florida.

Work your formula out right and you'll be fine.

Good luck

Edited by Stephen Blair

with all due respect you dont sound particulary upbeat about setting out on your own,dont go into it half arsed or you will end up doin nowt,as OMTC says take Silky Foxs thread as a rule book of how to get work,if your prepared to travel miles work hard and get on with people youll do fine,if not,stick where you are. Good luck whatever you decide

By being your own boss I take it you mean working for yourself, which in my view isn't about being a "subbi" which is still working for someone else and in most cases as and when they want you and usually you end up doing the **** jobs no else can do. Therefore you need to be **** hot in and out of a tree.

On the other hand, if you want to be your own boss you will need to find your own work, or your work will need to find you which ever way you look at it you will be faced with managing your own new business development through advertising and networking.

The up shoot is that you will need to work hard to find work and even harder to secure it against the competition. Can you manage running a business and balance the books? If you can you'll be rich just like me (lol) if you can't you'll need a steady well paid job with some moron!

You can obtain business training skill along the way, but along with your tree climbing skills you will need a good professional sales attitude to keep things going. That way people will recommend you and the work will just keep rolling in.

Also, look at your business plan.....do you intend to only do tree's. I ask this because I also do some small mowing contracts through the summer which plug the holes and some logs in winter which pay for us to go to Florida.

Work your formula out right and you'll be fine.

Good luck

My problem is myself really, i have always had a steady job at a tree firm and have been a lead climber for 4 years now.

My main gripe is job security. Tis better to have a steady job than no job at all.

I would be working mainly as a subbi, but would keep an eye open for private work.

Have just spent a small fortune on powerlines tickets but i am loathed to go and do it because the of the job satisfaction.

just getting feedback at the moment on peoples thoughts and ideas regarding subbi work.

Backpain- what you say is to true about the type of work. but is the job satisfaction better than being in a steady job doing the usual???

Cheers Dave