Forest machine operator training

flashgord

Hi Everyone, just looking for some advice... Id like to become a Timber harvester operator and im trying to find out how to go about this, it seems that getting training, passing a test and finding a job is extreemely hard - if not impossible! i cannot find anywhere that actually provide training courses for this machine?

i have working in costruction for 4 years and hold CPCS tickets for excavators and other heavy plant so i do have some experience in operating machenery...

can anyone help with where i can go for training, or know of any company taking on apprentice operators?

mank thanks in advance :)

Barony college do a certain amount of courses a year i think like 6 week courses where you drive harvesters and forwaders on site then do your assesment but there in scotlands and the course is probaly expensive!!!

also theres a course in sweden which a member on here has done

as for apprenticeships there probaly hard to find as the company will probaly take on in house apprentices that already have alot of experiance in forestry, ive worked for a guy for nearly two years and have only drove the forwader a couple of times.

the best bet for you i recon is two find out the details of an fmo(forestry machine opertions) trainer and do the fmo for the excavtor especially if you have alot of experiance you could do a day or twos training just to cover the assesment schedule and then do the aseesment which will make it alot cheaper atleast then you can operate a digger in the woods then you got do the fmo for the harvesting head

stu

Hello

If you want to work in the wonderful world of forestry operations you'll need to get yourself some FMO tickets. You'll need a 1.1 for excvator base and 2.1&2.2 for the harvester head.

With your 360 skill have you considered starting off in the establishment section? Mounding seem to be a way a lot of 360 conversion drivers get into the work. Seem to be a bit of a demand for mounding drivers at the moment. Try dropping the Forestry Contractors Association, they'll point you in the right direction for training and assessment.

• 2 years later...

Keep an eye on this site and the facebook page also:

forestry jobs - forestmachineoperatorjobs

From what I hear the industry is crying out for operators with the right attitude and work ethic. If you can demonstrate aptitude for machine work and provide good references then I'm sure you'll get a start somewhere.

Good luck

Edited by Wood wasp