2 man tean with chipper

jbtreeservice

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there is absolutely no point in doing tree work, it is not viable as a business. Either change trade or change location. All you and you fellow businesses down there will do is spiral into deeper and deeper debt. It's fine to say it's a way of life...but it's not, it's a way to starve.

Couldn't agree more; and why surprise surprise I doing less and less arb work. Forestry is supposedly worse but firewood has been amazing this year.

Then there is absolutely no point in doing tree work, it is not viable as a business. Either change trade or change location. All you and you fellow businesses down there will do is spiral into deeper and deeper debt. It's fine to say it's a way of life...but it's not, it's a way to starve.

Agree...strongly Andy, 220 for a 2 man team is a bloody joke!!

Agree...strongly Andy, 220 for a 2 man team is a bloody joke!!

It's what one well known firm in plymouth charge (or £330 for a 3 man team); they sub to the council for that and are flat out with other work. Making a oner a day, every day here is frankly wonderful when it happens. Above outfit leave sites an absolute tip; h&s is non existent, parks and gardens are smashed up proper but the council don't give a toss; tender process determines price 18/20 score whereas other areas 6-10/20.

I'm sure we all have competition from under-cutting companies, its just the way it is. I wouldn't even look at council contract around here, even if I were in a position to tender, it's like a feeding frenzy of sharks around a bloody corpse, each chopping away to get a morsel. Blow that! People are just getting the work to keep the lads working, and only just breaking even.

It's what one well known firm in plymouth charge (or £330 for a 3 man team); they sub to the council for that and are flat out with other work. Making a oner a day, every day here is frankly wonderful when it happens. Above outfit leave sites an absolute tip; h&s is non existent, parks and gardens are smashed up proper but the council don't give a toss; tender process determines price 18/20 score whereas other areas 6-10/20.

Get on to H&S then. I know of a lad who has done this and would talk you through it. You might even stop an accident.

Work out all your costings, add in your profit margin, and bingo, you should have a price. I'd say around £425 for 2 men, but it does vary, some are more, some are less. Some clients try it on to see how low you'll go, don't fall for it, stick to your guns, however tempting. You don't need to be a busy fool. I worked for a delivery van man today. He has a third of the work he had last year, he is earning the same money. He was doing 120,000miles per van x 3 per year. He dumped the staff, he and his wife drive now instead, average 40,000 miles each, and took on contracts directly, rather than through TNT etc. He has more quality time, the vans are not wearing out so quickly and his fuel bill is reduced. Just an example, less is more :thumbup:

Like this example very much :001_smile: