10 week Tree Surgery Commercial Course

Kedi100

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the Otley 10 week course in Spring/Summer 2011 as a career change (having worked in construction management for 5 years after my degree). I’d never even picked a chainsaw up, but I went for it anyway. I enjoyed the course a lot, good environment, good tutors, but the learning curve is near vertical when you get out in to the real world, tough but great fun, I love my job and I’ve not looked back once.

I've been working as a freelance groundie/climber for a year now, not always as busy as I'd like to be but I was expecting that as a newbie and its a competitive market after all. So far I'm doing OK, a combination of lucky breaks in terms of opportunities opening up and then hard work to try and keep these opportunities open for myself.

I've also worked for a guy I studied with and for a guy from the batch of 10 weekers that that preceded mine so people are making it work.

I funded my own training and bought all my own kit, a big financial investment, but what better to spend your money on than trying to secure a living for yourself?

Just be realistic with yourself, it's hard to get going in an industry that’s so experience based; be honest to people about your abilities, be keen to learn and don't underestimate the importance of people skills - you'll work in a small team so you need to know how to fit in.

Best of luck

I took the Otley 10 week course in Spring/Summer 2011 as a career change (having worked in construction management for 5 years after my degree). I’d never even picked a chainsaw up, but I went for it anyway. I enjoyed the course a lot, good environment, good tutors, but the learning curve is near vertical when you get out in to the real world, tough but great fun, I love my job and I’ve not looked back once.

I've been working as a freelance groundie/climber for a year now, not always as busy as I'd like to be but I was expecting that as a newbie and its a competitive market after all. So far I'm doing OK, a combination of lucky breaks in terms of opportunities opening up and then hard work to try and keep these opportunities open for myself.

I've also worked for a guy I studied with and for a guy from the batch of 10 weekers that that preceded mine so people are making it work.

I funded my own training and bought all my own kit, a big financial investment, but what better to spend your money on than trying to secure a living for yourself?

Just be realistic with yourself, it's hard to get going in an industry that’s so experience based; be honest to people about your abilities, be keen to learn and don't underestimate the importance of people skills - you'll work in a small team so you need to know how to fit in.

Best of luck

Hi Tom

It's great to hear from someone who has done the course and hear such positive things about it, sounds like you are doing good.

I am more than happy to spend the money to secure a future in Tree Surgery for myself and your absolutely right, it's got to be worth it.

I'm certainly not expecting it to be easy, far from it but I am very determined to make it happen and the more I can learn the better. Getting on with people and fitting in has never been a problem with me so that's good. I'm very keen to get as much knowledge and experience as possible to help me along the way.

Thanks

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kev/Kedi

First and foremost if Arb is what you want to do, then investing some of your own time and money shows commitment and is a sound investment.

On top of that, the value of the course is fantastic. The cost of CS30/31/38/39 alone come to more than that, and you will learn so much more besides.

Make sure you are fit, you will then gain the most from the climbing opportunities you have. Read and take on board as much Arb related info as possible. Network with all the other students on your course, and any courses already running - the more contacts you have the better. Get you name and cv in front of as many local Tree firms as possible - also consider the Forrestry side of things. Offer to do work for a reasonable days money on a trial basis - but don't do it for nothing - your work will always have a value, even if you are only valued as a 'Brash dragging monkey'!

Your mechanical skills and maturity should also stand you in good stead, but do not let anyone take the piss.

Good luck

Chris

Hi Kev/Kedi

First and foremost if Arb is what you want to do, then investing some of your own time and money shows commitment and is a sound investment.

On top of that, the value of the course is fantastic. The cost of CS30/31/38/39 alone come to more than that, and you will learn so much more besides.

Make sure you are fit, you will then gain the most from the climbing opportunities you have. Read and take on board as much Arb related info as possible. Network with all the other students on your course, and any courses already running - the more contacts you have the better. Get you name and cv in front of as many local Tree firms as possible - also consider the Forrestry side of things. Offer to do work for a reasonable days money on a trial basis - but don't do it for nothing - your work will always have a value, even if you are only valued as a 'Brash dragging monkey'!

Your mechanical skills and maturity should also stand you in good stead, but do not let anyone take the piss.

Good luck

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks very much for your positive feedback. Your advice is much appreciated and I shall certainly take it onboard. Just need January to hurry up now so I can get training but at least it gives me time to research some more and gain as much info as possible.

Cheers

Kev

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Chris

Thanks very much for your positive feedback. Your advice is much appreciated and I shall certainly take it onboard. Just need January to hurry up now so I can get training but at least it gives me time to research some more and gain as much info as possible.

Cheers

Kev

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD