10 week Tree Surgery Commercial Course

Kedi100

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again thanks everyone for the feedback. It's a big help. With regards to any other strings to my bow, I have served a 4 year Apprenticeship as a car mechanic in a main dealer where I have been for over 13 years now, I am a first Aider, MOT tester, Windscreen Repairer and Tracker installer. I know this means nothing regards becoming a Tree Surgeon but it shows dedication and willingness to train and progress if anything. Now your probably wondering why I want a career change but it is simply because I no longer want to work on cars, there is nothing challenging about the job anymore and no i get no job satisfaction plus i hate being stuck indoors. I love the outdoors, adventure and challenges it offers and I just have a passion for the countryside and nature. Before I left school, Tree Surgery was what I wanted to do but I was steered down the mechanic route but I'm only 29 and have no ties so figure now is the time to retrain and do what I'd really like to do. It's not all about money, happiness in a job is important to me :-)

Hi there, your 'mechanics' skills could/would be a much welcomed addition to many tree surgery companies as there's always some vehicle/machine breaking down and being mechanicaly minded often indicates a good aptitude etc. Also being 29 (I remember it well...well actually not so well now, boo hoo) may help, i.e. maturity.

Good luck and give Andy Gentle a shout as he says.

Cheers..

Paul

So just think how you can be of service to an employer, with your skills, in addition to being a trainee arborist, you can also help with fleet maintenance, chipper maintenance and so on, these are all costs most of us have to fork ut for, so to have one in-house mechanic is a boon :thumbup1: I thinknthat alone instantly makes you more employable. :001_smile:

Thanks Paul and Andy. I was kind of hoping my age and mechanical experience would put me in good stead. I've worked hard at it over the 13 years but I'm ready for a new challenge now. I will certainly give Andy Gentle a shout. Very sound advice from all you guys.

Thanks

Kev

There is always something in this job that needs some spanner work.That would get noticed on your CV and be a very good string on bow.Why not contact some local tree firms and offer some spanner work in exchange for a bit of tree work exp and a few ££'s to cover your fuel. You could find it worked for both and they may even help with the 10 wk costs.It would show your committed and anything to stand out from the crowd will help.Good luck

Hi mate,

I did a very similar course at Merrist wood few years back on the back of Garden landscape experience alone. I was advised by some

to get some experience before i went and spent money on a course, and others to go for the course as you will be more qualified and employable.

As it happens, i went straight for the course jumping blind and it was the best thing i ever did! Loved to climb and cut, was really into the knowledge side of arb which doing a course like that can offer instead of passing each ticket one by one.

After college i was scrounging around for work as a self employed tree surgeon for a few months then 2 of the 5 companies i worked for asked me to go full time! (big boost) .. So i waited a week or so and thought over my desision, chose the company and 2 years on im still here :)

It might get dry at times but keep asking for worl and showing what you got and you will get there!

So what im trying to say is a little self investment can go a long way, i payed for my course, climbing kit and climbing saw and earnt that back in my first year being self employed!

As for books... A good start would be

Tree ident-collins guide to trees in britain

General tree knowledge- trees and their natural history

- the body language of trees

-the principles of tree hazard assesment(good for fungi that too)

H/s and work practice- AFAG LEAFLETS on the hse website..

I just type AFAG LEAFLETS CHAINSAW into google and various ones come up. They show you safe working practices. they are free!

Annnd finally "the climbers companion" not a bad start to have them

Read before the course. Very good head start!