The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

7 hours ago, josharb87 said:

a tree should cost the same no matter who the company is

But if you take this across to, say, the building sector then an average house extension should cost the same.  But it doesn't.  Because different firms have different reputations, abilities, lead times, running costs etc etc so there will always be different prices.  Often significantly different ones.  Arb is no different in that respect.

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have to take issue with this back thing.

Climbing around in a tree is fine even therapeutic for your back.

Lifting heavy wood isn’t, and worse still is driving a tractor or especially a digger all day.

I'd say lifting heavy wood poorly is bad for your back.  No different to lifting in the gym (not been there for a while...), lifting wood at work can exercise us well - you just need to lift properly.  I'm always amused by the lads who won't lift something and use a grab or whatever but will then be in the gym lifting big weights (probably badly) and paying for the privilege...

Def agree on the climbing thing though Mick

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clutchy said:

I'm not saying I know it all (far from it) but it does pain me to see other trees surgeons undervalue themselves. 

I did a podcast on All things arb that may help get us the money we deserve and ensure you're running a business. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2jBIQS1gMG4xnuSjDpR1Oy?si=9XTo87mUT--2AEo6UwF10g&utm_source=copy-link

Please bare in mind the rates mentioned in this are a little out of date since all this inflation/rise in the cost of living. 

Got halfway through but got an early start tomorrow so I'll watch the rest another day.  A fascinating watch - there's really good stuff in there.  Thanks for sharing it.  I must say I admire your attitude, your strategy and your ethics.  Keep on doing what you're doing.

Edited by Puffingbilly413
catn sple
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been listening to this podcast lately. I do really find a lot of what the people he interviews have to say interesting but oh my days what a gob shite this scouse lad is. Am I right in thinking this podcast was started off the back of his company failing because he’s an absolute plonker. And now he is bitter and still a clueless plonker? Never heard so much bollocks 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, teresa green said:

I have been listening to this podcast lately. I do really find a lot of what the people he interviews have to say interesting but oh my days what a gob shite this scouse lad is. Am I right in thinking this podcast was started off the back of his company failing because he’s an absolute plonker. And now he is bitter and still a clueless plonker? Never heard so much bollocks 

No there's another bloke on the Arbtalk website pushing a podcast about how his company failed and he rebuilt it again. He's also offering a consortium of an industry leaders to help further the arb sector. All very inspiring stuff and all but that's not the same guy.

I'd hazard a guess that the rotund northern dough ball did a bit in college and maybe a bit of ground work before ducking out and starting a podcast instead.

If I seem grumpy I've had a hard couple of days. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I'd hazard a guess that the rotund northern dough ball did a bit in college and maybe a bit of ground work before ducking out and starting a podcast instead.

This hits the nail on the head I recon - he is not suffering from years of brutal graft in the industry 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tom is a spot on lad, a proper character! He used to do a fair bit, but got injured so had to change it up and did the All Things Arb magazine, that then drifted into the podcasts. 

Ahh so he's the bloke that took my money and ran?? I subscribed to that magazine and the free rope bag offer and never got either. He never answered my emails or anything.