The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

14 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

It’s good to disagree 😊

We cut bits of trees, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, it’s not rocket science. Some of us are good at what we do, some not so. Then there’s shifting material from point A To B something that literally anyone without a disability can do.

most tree guys I know aren’t exactly academics 😆 most turn up in scruffy clothes but expect to be paid a premium

it is strenuous on the body, but as mick touched on, a tree should cost the same no matter who the company is, to make more money, it’s generally do the job more efficiently. Has the business owner taken the leap to invest in machinery, they should be able to work more efficiently/quicker/earn more profit, as a side to this investment there should be less strain on bodys.

I quote with confidence and turn a good profit year on year out. 
first it was because I was good and quick. In recent years it’s been down to investing in machinery-for speed and to alleviate the stress in my body, something that’s often overlooked. Certainly don’t work late or scrimp on time off. 

imo it seems that those with a battered old tipper and chipper, who haven’t invested in their own company, and therefore work harder and longer for the same money as the likes of Mick that moan about the industry’s pay the most

Again (I'm sorry) I disagree. 

The same tree shouldn't cost the same. 

The level of customer service I offer, from the initial phone call to completion is top teir. I'm well spoken, curtious and all my staff are well dressed, well spoken and polite. Not your 'typical' rough tradesmen. 

I have a 99.2% attendance rate over the last 4 years and pretty much the only reason it isn't 100% is because we were robbed.

Clients will pay a premium for those who conduct themselves professionally, write clear quotes and provide insurance and quals without prompting. 

Further to this, crown reductions are an art. If you're really good at it, why shouldn't I charge more than average? 

I'm rarely the cheapest quote, and yet I am sometimes chosen from the 2 or 3 quotes. That confirms the price of a tree shouldn't be the same 

I do love a debate mind 

• Like 5

It sounds like your professional attitude is what customers are willing to pay more for, your niche, that’s their prerogative though.

Like choosing a Mercedes’ over a lada, both do the same job and both customers are probably happy for what they paid-you expect more from the merc so are willing to pay more. 

you certainly should charge more if you can, or the customer wants a reduction an arborist would be proud of (Mercedes’) But some don’t, some just want a smaller tree that billy bob does in half the time for half the price for halving a tree(!). Giving a job worth half the value. But they’ve got what they paid for (lada)

invest in some labor saving kit and happy days, good money, efficient and easy working here we come! 

• Like 2

I'm not saying I know it all (far from it) but it does pain me to see other trees surgeons undervalue themselves. 

I did a podcast on All things arb that may help get us the money we deserve and ensure you're running a business. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2jBIQS1gMG4xnuSjDpR1Oy?si=9XTo87mUT--2AEo6UwF10g&utm_source=copy-link

Please bare in mind the rates mentioned in this are a little out of date since all this inflation/rise in the cost of living. 

Edited by Clutchy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Clutchy said:

Massively disagree. 

This is one of the most dangerous jobs in the UK, its horrendous for your back and causes all other sorts of musculoskeletal issues reulting in a short time frame to 'earn your money' before retirement. 

I have to take issue with this back thing.

Climbing around in a tree is fine even therapeutic for your back.

Lifting heavy wood isn’t, and worse still is driving a tractor or especially a digger all day.

• Like 2

I'm not saying I know it all (far from it) but it does pain me to see other trees surgeons undervalue themselves. 

I did a podcast on All things arb that may help get us the money we deserve and ensure you're running a business. 

[/url]  

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2jBIQS1gMG4xnuSjDpR1Oy?si=9XTo87mUT--2AEo6UwF10g&utm_source=copy-link

Please bare in mind the rates mentioned in this are a little out of date since all this inflation/rise in the cost of living. 

I'm listening now......
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

It sounds like your professional attitude is what customers are willing to pay more for, your niche, that’s their prerogative though.

Like choosing a Mercedes’ over a lada, both do the same job and both customers are probably happy for what they paid-you expect more from the merc so are willing to pay more. 

you certainly should charge more if you can, or the customer wants a reduction an arborist would be proud of (Mercedes’) But some don’t, some just want a smaller tree that billy bob does in half the time for half the price for halving a tree(!). Giving a job worth half the value. But they’ve got what they paid for (lada)

invest in some labor saving kit and happy days, good money, efficient and easy working here we come! 

Personally I think reality is a blend of the above, the tree has a price and the customer doesn't know what team or equipment you're going to use or how efficient that makes you. 

I also think there is definitely a level of service vs price factor. It's not quite the same as mercedes vs lada though, because there is also the personal relationship/trust factor.

Then I think there's a kind of price ceiling like you get with houses, as in you couldn't charge £2000 for a £200 tree no matter how professional you are. The only way to get that is fluke or threatening behaviour, which is not unknown (Hodges rogue crew above). This must mean people have a vague idea about what they can afford before we start.

There's a chap Nick Bailey I've seen post on FB who sometimes posts the job price, people will moan that's he's a ripoff merchant but in reality he's just offering the mercedes level service at a mercedes price. Quick professional quotes, smart, logo 7.5t trucks, quick in and out so customers not waiting around, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clutchy said:

So you’re the guy he’s interviewing?

(Got halfway so far, interesting stuff)

2 hours ago, Clutchy said:

[/url]  

Nice podcast mate and a lot of sense for a young guy even for an old guy like me it was a good listen and gave me some motivation. The fat scouse voice winds me up but that life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4