The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

Talking of big takedowns, I think every tree firm in Norfolk has been invited to price that enormous village green rotten beech roadside in Oxborough.

The pc chairman told me they’d had lots of cheap quotes but didn’t have confidence in those firms.

At the last count prices coming in ranged from 4k to 24k.

5 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Talking of big takedowns, I think every tree firm in Norfolk has been invited to price that enormous village green beech in Oxborough.
The pc chairman told me they’d had lots of cheap quotes but didn’t have confidence in those firms.

This one? I’ll do it for the wood!

9F3B6D57-8EEB-4237-A922-45E9A3292884.png

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Talking of big takedowns, I think every tree firm in Norfolk has been invited to price that enormous village green rotten beech roadside in Oxborough.

Probably the case in a few situations. 

Can't tell you the number of times we've won jobs as we were the only ones who insisted on TM, which makes our quote 2k more than the others straightaway 

• Like 1

Probably the case in a few situations. 

Can't tell you the number of times we've won jobs as we were the only ones who insisted on TM, which makes our quote 2k more than the others straightaway 

2k for TM?? That's insane....for 1 day??

6 minutes ago, Hodge said:

2k for TM?? That's insane....for 1 day??

Yeah, normally i pay around 1.1 -  1.4k (I've used cheap before and never again, ill happily pay a premium for hassle free service) 

This one was a 5 way, massive pedestrian walk way, 2 x TFL bus closures, crane permit (for a mewp no less) and manned lights so we can go 'all red'. Permits, drawings etc. 

If you're not based in London, they might be more slack. 

I now have to have crane permits for a poxy mewp on the carriage way. 

• Like 1

For us over La Manche, road closures and traffic management are free at least in my area (for now)

This Monday, the commune (council) threw in a policeman and two commune workers to open and close for the buses (couldn't divert those) and to prevent pedestrians entering the felling zone. 

Also traffic light control and all your 'chapter 8' supplied for free on route nationals and departmental roads, A and B road equivalent. Often the set up crew stay with us if they have nothing else pressing.

IMG_20220425_092435.jpg

• Like 1

9+10 May I've a large oak to takedown in a local town North of Rennes 

It was due to be given a protection order but money passed under the table in a nice restaurant (winked the developer)

First, I was contacted and asked if I'd buy it.

Then, if I'd do it for the wood.

I sent the owner a quote for €10k with options including a buy back option of €600 as it is a nice stem for milling and the crown will heat my house for a year.

Shortly after I received a call from the owner which was a bit tense but I held my ground.

I firmly told him to get other quotes for the removal and to call sawmills himself if he truly thought the stem was valuable enough and that I was playing him for a fool.

Weeks went by and I was invited to a site visit with representatives from the town hall, architects, notaires, adjacent plot owners and so forth.

Amazingly, several of them assumed I would be doing it alone, others imagined me felling it despite the small area.

A few images shared and I basked in all round admiration.

I didn't have the heart to tell them I wasn't the one climbing, stolen valour me...

I think I know why I won it because the owner was reffered to larger landscape companies by his architect.

I know they certainly sub these jobs out to larger arb outfits so basically more than my healthy price plus a fat commission.

I've even ordered fresh Bear Valley t'shirts for the job.

Edited by Ty Korrigan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gardenscape said:

I often wonder that pricing the job for what it realistically should of been, would we still of got the job?

I often wonder, what if the price we work for is actually the going rate?
we make a profit, what more can we ask? Should we be making a hideous profit and rubbing shoulders with the upper classes for doing a basic labor job? 
Realistically (imo) we’re an over saturated industry that’s not as skilled or as elite as we like to think 🤔 

• Like 9