The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

I recently got asked to go and price an ash removal, not my usual remit but was asked by a friend of a friend of a friend.

Landlocked garden, only access through garage doors. All material staying on site, to be ringed up for firewood. Tree was "pruned" last year by parties unknown, who also removed another much smaller ash tree in the garden. They also trashed the door frames taking the brash out and managed to break something in next doors garden too. The customer seemed very cagey about what happened last year, fair enough I suppose. The photo is deceptive, the main stem is a big old lump likely 1m across at the base. Tight drop zone with patio and extension to contend with. I reckoned 2 days for 2 men max, but a fair amount of rigging involved to avoid all targets and some time involved in ringing main stem up. 

I said £1500+vat which was maybe slightly overpriced perhaps but one of those jobs where the potential to go tits up was there so I thought I'd cover myself.... Anyway, customer comes back and says they'll pass as I was nearly 3 times as expensive as the lads he had last year. The ones who did a shit job. I said that's fine, no worries, and good luck with it. 

Cheap labour isn't good and good labour isn't cheap is my mantra. Point proven in this case? 20220326_103951.thumb.jpg.98ffeaf6f6128ba9bab493efe4984d8d.jpg

• Like 6

Just came across this thread and really feeling it right now. 
On a job atm, 4 large dismantles, a smaller one and some other bits. Chip and wood staying on site, figured 5 days with three guys. It’ll be easy… 🤦🏻
One of the lads had to go off on semi-long term sick leave. Managed to cover some of the days then the other guy got covid. Spoke to client and stupidly decided to soldier on and just get it done. Now going into day 7 AND on day one I realised I’d gone over the vat threshold the month before so will have to pay that out of the budget. Might rebrand as a charity. 

If you priced the job before VAT and can probe this then you should be able to not have to pay VAT. I speak from experience as I did the same, my Accountant sorted it for me and HMRC were ok with it.
  • Like 1

I recently got asked to go and price an ash removal, not my usual remit but was asked by a friend of a friend of a friend.

Landlocked garden, only access through garage doors. All material staying on site, to be ringed up for firewood. Tree was "pruned" last year by parties unknown, who also removed another much smaller ash tree in the garden. They also trashed the door frames taking the brash out and managed to break something in next doors garden too. The customer seemed very cagey about what happened last year, fair enough I suppose. The photo is deceptive, the main stem is a big old lump likely 1m across at the base. Tight drop zone with patio and extension to contend with. I reckoned 2 days for 2 men max, but a fair amount of rigging involved to avoid all targets and some time involved in ringing main stem up. 

I said £1500+vat which was maybe slightly overpriced perhaps but one of those jobs where the potential to go tits up was there so I thought I'd cover myself.... Anyway, customer comes back and says they'll pass as I was nearly 3 times as expensive as the lads he had last year. The ones who did a shit job. I said that's fine, no worries, and good luck with it. 

Cheap labour isn't good and good labour isn't cheap is my mantra. Point proven in this case? 20220326_103951.thumb.jpg.98ffeaf6f6128ba9bab493efe4984d8d.jpg

Customer sounds like a nob[emoji23][emoji23] lots of potential for it to go wrong and will be costly. Did he ever make reference to the poor job last time? The damage etc? If he did I would of just told him, pay peanuts and you get monkeys pal[emoji23][emoji23]
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Honestly, if that is on staying in there, it’s a days work for two guys, max.

Easy rigging.

Worst bit might be metal in the trunk.

£1500 is bonkers.

Potential for the " stunt fell " thread  ? 😁

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Customer sounds like a nobemoji23.pngemoji23.png lots of potential for it to go wrong and will be costly. Did he ever make reference to the poor job last time? The damage etc? If he did I would of just told him, pay peanuts and you get monkeys palemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Aye but! Look on the bright side, iffen ye pay peanuts and get monkeys, they should be able to climb well!

The Chainsaw H&S stuff could perhaps stand some finessing!

• Like 2

I don’t know what they’re charging,

but it has taken 4 days to do this much and they’ve left an oil slick on the by road that passes my house .

looks like they’ll be another few days whenever they get their chipper fixed.

would be a handy day and a half with a decent set up.

I should be miffed at not being asked to quote but have to say I find it most entertaining.

gas thing is, guy they are doing job for is a retired electricity board area manager.

7E47972A-4DDB-430F-9370-F1CCDA86874A.jpeg