First tool kit?

Old Mill Tree Care

Sorry that this is a very boring and basic question for you all but a client has asked me to do a fencing job.

I've decided to buy all the tools and do more of this (no longer see the point in giving work away to fencing/landscaping firms and getting nothing back).

Question is - What are the tools I need. I think I'm aware of what's needed but just incase. Appreciate your time.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of fencing is it?

You are going to need a few different tools depending on the job i.e. tools for close board or stock fencing are going to be somewhat different.

My advice would be by the correct tool(s) when the job its needed for comes up...

Best item for the job is me , did 5km of wire fenceing for the brother in law on the farm last year too keep the cows in loved every bit of it. You will need a post driver if the tractor is not knocking them it for ya.

Post driver

Hammer

Wire cutters / wire pullers I think the one I used was a chain type.

U Nails

2 people and a pole to roll the wire out.

For stock, buck rake tine for stony ground, shove-holers (some fencers seem to hate them, others like them), spades as above, good iron bar with top, pliers (not cheapo), good estwing hammer, etc etc, saws, rammer (paddock perfection do nice ones)... wire tensioner... as above 2 is easier for rolling out the netting. I've used ratchet straps in the past to get tension on uneven ground etc...

dont forget your string line,spirit level,chain/hand saw etc, and make yourself a plywood compartment box with carry handle for all your nails,staples etc, as time goes on you will end up with loads of useful bits and pieces cluttering up your toolbox lol

Edited by miker