public liability or employers liability

Speak to a qualified insurance broker or two and they will be able to give you some professional advice and source the right product for you.

If the sub-contractor is only used occasionally and has their own tools, you may be alright to rely on their insurance, though I would check this out and make sure to get copies of the original.

If you use a subbie regularly then, I understand, you will need to have some form of ELI. Speak to HMRC about the legal position as far as the sub-contractor goes. Also make sure they have a CIS card so you don't get chased for their tax liabilities, which you will if they don't pay.

Quite right

BTW- the government don't have any insurance on vehicles etc I was once told- they become their own insurance company.

Ford once supplied the government with a one off high security vehicle worth over £1million. The vehicle was damaged and unrepairable... The government was insured and the insurers at the time called in the bosses from Ford and arranged for them to replace the vehicle as a good will gesture...Ford obliged.

...its worth insuring against any unfortunate outcome that you cant afford to pay yourself... we recomend to our customers to think about the risks that could put you out of business for any period of time...

- injury or damage to a member of the public or their property

- injury to a member of staff

- injury to yourself resulting in you not being able to work

- loss/theft or damage to tools and equipment or tools/equipment you hire

- theft of tools and equipment whilst kept at home

- loss/damage to your vehicle/s and any damage/injury caused to a 3rd party

Ford once supplied the government with a one off high security vehicle worth over £1million. The vehicle was damaged and unrepairable... The government was insured and the insurers at the time called in the bosses from Ford and arranged for them to replace the vehicle as a good will gesture...Ford obliged.

...its worth insuring against any unfortunate outcome that you cant afford to pay yourself... we recomend to our customers to think about the risks that could put you out of business for any period of time...

- injury or damage to a member of the public or their property

- injury to a member of staff

- injury to yourself resulting in you not being able to work

- loss/theft or damage to tools and equipment or tools/equipment you hire

- theft of tools and equipment whilst kept at home

- loss/damage to your vehicle/s and any damage/injury caused to a 3rd party

4 out of six ain't bad

Don't do tools on site or on trucks as they have to be in a locked container- impractical for us generally. Plus - we don't lose much from site.

Tools in the unit are insured as we have had break ins in the past which hurt.

Don't do injury to me. As the business would continue without me generally then I think the loss of earnings equation would not give me much of a payout.

The government thing applied to their cars- this may have changed and I suspect each case is taken on its merit.

4 out of six ain't bad

Don't do tools on site or on trucks as they have to be in a locked container- impractical for us generally. Plus - we don't lose much from site.

Tools in the unit are insured as we have had break ins in the past which hurt.

Don't do injury to me. As the business would continue without me generally then I think the loss of earnings equation would not give me much of a payout.

The government thing applied to their cars- this may have changed and I suspect each case is taken on its merit.

Hi likeitorlumpit... we are always interested to here new ideas about the covers that do and dont work well for you... apart form the tools cover issue above is there anything else that prevents you buying a particular coverage or something that youve always thought should be covered that isnt?

Hi likeitorlumpit... we are always interested to here new ideas about the covers that do and dont work well for you... apart form the tools cover issue above is there anything else that prevents you buying a particular coverage or something that youve always thought should be covered that isnt?

I am thinking professional indemnity this year.

Don't tempt me on the other- I'd sooner not know what is available. All insurances currently cost us about £70 a week so I'd rather not add to it.:001_smile:

I am just about to take on my first person but they will be self employed, how does it work with insurance? do i need just employers ordo i need both ?? :confused1:

Hi, just in answer to your question we've outlined below the different insurances & what they are for:

Public Liability offers cover for injury to third parties or damage to third party property (People outside the organisation), Employers’ Liability covers for injury or damage to employees (People inside the organisation).

A client could only claim against the Public Liability.

An employee could claim against the Employers’ Liability.

Legally you are not required to have PL insurance but is recommended.

You are legally required to have EL cover if you have any employees or if you have any subcontractors working under your instruction or supervision.

Lastly, like other insurances, it is advisable to shop around & get a few quotes from different insurers to make sure you are getting the best cover & price.

If you want more information on the different insurances or a quote then please just give us a call on 0113 259 3560 or pm me your number & we'll call to suit you.

Hope that helps

Jessica

Arborisk

Edited by Charity Stonier