Husky T540

Mark Bolam

what are people views on this new husky saw compared to the stihl ms201t? impartial views please

as im wondering which 1 to get, as ive heard bad and good things with both and use the 201 alot.

thanks lads

I cant compare it to the 201 as I havent used the 201 for any length of time plus only on the ground testing it not in a tree working with the saw.

I can compare it to the 020/200T since as a climber I have been using these more or less every day all day for the past 17 years.

In short I rate the husky over the 200T and will certainly be getting one for the tree work side of the business never mind for resale.:thumbup:

The 201 should have been the next ultimate climbing saw as its predecessors unquestionably were(the previous husky top handles were dire) but it seems to have had too many issues right from the start. I hope Stihl sort it out soon and dont let it linger like the 200T carb issues.

The 020T is a classic, if the husky doesnt fall to bits or have running issues then in time I think it will steal that title.

AFAIK Everyone who has trailed the 540 wants one.

From what I can see its the continuing tightening of the emissions that cause these running problems.

The big problem is what to call it when shouting the groundie to tie it on!:001_huh:

T540xp is waaay too long and so is 540.

Ill probably still say the 'O tweny':biggrin:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem mate.

I would still be interested to know how it directly to the 201 if anyone has carried out a side to side comparison.:thumbup1:

Back to the OP question, Ive been onto husky tech and they dont have the dimensions of the filler holes and havent got any at hand to find out.

There isnt any parts lists yet so i cant find out if the cap will fit any other saws to compare to.

hopefully we can check it out for ourselves within the next few weeks!

When's the bloody saw coming out!!!!!! Waited forever and I still want one!

:lol:

Thats the million dollar question!

All I can say is that genuinely dont know what the delay has been and it is still on for release at the APF THIS year:001_smile:

We have received point of sale posters to put up in the shop of the 540 but no exact date on when we can actually get it on the shelf. There may be people out there who have more knowledge on this matter than me but if there are they are keeping mum for now, which TBH I cant blame given all the hype back at the APF in 2010!

I do know that Husky are just as desperate as us all to get the saw out on sale, as im sure they are aware that a lot of people are getting fed up hearing about the saw but not being able to get their hands on it.

We were lucky to have tried it out and it has given new inspiration into something that seemed as though it will never happen.

When I spoke to the husky tech guy I could heart his heart sink into his boots when I mentioned I was after some info on the saw. He was quite relived when I laughed saying I wasnt asking about the release date.:laugh1:

If it isnt out at the APF then I think I will try to 'borrow' one on a permanent loan. Im more interested in using the saw than selling it, hope Husky dont read that bit!:001_tongue:

The t540 is a fantastic little machine. I had the opportunity to use one for a while, and it is FAR better than the new offering from stihl, and quite a bit better than the 200t IMO. Balance is superb, even with a 14" bar, and the power is amazing, much more than the 200t. What i liked the most was the ergonomically designed handle. The tiny little bit of shaping (and 3 inserts are supplied for different hand sizes) made it really easy for me to handle with my faurly knackered elbows. Great little machine IMO.

I had a quick play with one (didn't have a chance to actually cut anything) and it feels well balanced and has a quick pickup compared to the 201. My lasting impression was that it felt quite and flmsy unfortunately - hopefully it is more durable than it appears as I fancy getting one. Chelford Farm Supplies have them at the game fair/carving comp at tatton park this weekend to have a play with. I was told that they will be released for sale immediately after the apf.

I cant compare it to the 201 as I havent used the 201 for any length of time plus only on the ground testing it not in a tree working with the saw.

I can compare it to the 020/200T since as a climber I have been using these more or less every day all day for the past 17 years.

In short I rate the husky over the 200T and will certainly be getting one for the tree work side of the business never mind for resale.:thumbup:

The 201 should have been the next ultimate climbing saw as its predecessors unquestionably were(the previous husky top handles were dire) but it seems to have had too many issues right from the start. I hope Stihl sort it out soon and dont let it linger like the 200T carb issues.

The 020T is a classic, if the husky doesnt fall to bits or have running issues then in time I think it will steal that title.

AFAIK Everyone who has trailed the 540 wants one.

From what I can see its the continuing tightening of the emissions that cause these running problems.

The big problem is what to call it when shouting the groundie to tie it on!:001_huh:

T540xp is waaay too long and so is 540.

Ill probably still say the 'O tweny':biggrin:

the fiv orty :thumbup: or just send upthe topper