Tree work in colder countries

I am aiming to get abroad after I have got my 5 years experience or when i feel like i am in a good postion is go abroad.

Been talking and looking into NZ and Oz, but havent given colder countries a thought.

What is sweden like, would love to know as much as possible.:thumbup:

Or what other countries like NPTC arborists :001_smile

Arran

• 1 month later...

Sweden is cool but very different from the UK arb scene in some ways good in other bad. The cities are the best bet for work, Mainly Stockholm and Gothenburg not much in the way in Malmo in the south. Stockholm companies are often on the look out for skilled blokes through out the the year but in winter the work can die off a bit or you end up shiffting snow all day. Best advice is get out there and get stuck in.

• 1 month later...
I am aiming to get abroad after I have got my 5 years experience or when i feel like i am in a good postion is go abroad.

Been talking and looking into NZ and Oz, but havent given colder countries a thought.

What is sweden like, would love to know as much as possible.:thumbup:

Or what other countries like NPTC arborists :001_smile

Arran

What would you like to know mate about Sweden. Currently working here and have been for a while now. Could more and likely answer most questions or give it my best shot. :001_smile:

What would you like to know mate about Sweden. Currently working here and have been for a while now. Could more and likely answer most questions or give it my best shot. :001_smile:

Thanks buddy your a star.

What parts of the tree are better than the uk and what bits are worse

How did you sort out Visa's and accommodation

Do many people speak english out there

How did you get your foot in the door out there

Ill think of more :sneaky2: I know some of the questions may be different for different firms but its a start for me to built knowledge

thanks again

Arran

Thanks buddy your a star.

What parts of the tree are better than the uk and what bits are worse

How did you sort out Visa's and accommodation

Do many people speak english out there

How did you get your foot in the door out there

Ill think of more :sneaky2: I know some of the questions may be different for different firms but its a start for me to built knowledge

thanks again

Arran

Like u say it completely depends what firms your with. I'm with a really good one fortunately. U have to be careful which one u go with . Heard the Swedish companies take this pics with the English. Best to go with a Swedish company but owed and run by English. I got the job off arb jobs. Was quite fortunate as a lot applied for it :biggrin: there are companies on there at the min advertising for English climbers.

The winter now and it's really harsh. If u read the post "frozen ropes" on here u will get an idea of the weather ect. That was my friend that made it who I work with.

Tree wise it's nearly same as home just bigger. Depends which part of Sweden u go to but im in the middle ish so there is a lot of spruce, pines, massive birch, oak, aspens.....not that many ash as most of them have had it. Big elms but same as ash there nearly all out as well. Good thing is I haven't climbed a single tree yet with ivy on. Nice and clean. All we actually do is climb, very really have to clean up. Do a lot of council work so they clear it up. Haven't fed a chipped for over 5 months now :biggrin:

If you do end up comin out get a good comfy pair of spikes u will use them a lot.

Regarding if they speak English the answer is yes and very well. We can have full conversations with like 8 year old's. It's taught in school here so they are very good and they like to speak it. The older they are the less English they speak but you can get by very easy.

I completely love it here climbing compared to England just coz the trees are bigger and better. Plus it's just so much more relaxed. Haven't got your boss breathing down your neck to get the job done asap coz he's under quoted it 0to beat other companies. ( does depend on company but think they are all chilled to be honest ).As there ain't really that much compitition in companies coz each one is so far apart.

It's a really good experience and looks good on your cv :sneaky2:

Hope this helps a little more

• 1 month later...