roof mounted crane

Busy Daddy

Yes a valmet would be easiest but they just seem to be so expensive and hard to find with good power and mod cons like 50k and suspension

It would only be used for biomass not in the woods and a bit of firewooding

Valmet hold their money because of their forestry reputation. Some of the new bigger Valtras T160 upwards can sometimes be had for an absolute seal with around 5000hours on if you look hard enough.

If you know what you want and know your tractors then it's worth looking overseas. Lots of valtra/valmet crane tractors in Finland and France for around the 25k mark.

Now I have a crane on a jake plate, I wouldn't consider a roof mount.

They make the tractor too top heavy and then you need to add a lot of extra ballast, so adding more weight to the tractor.

With the jake plate, you can have a lighter crane with a king post, so giving plenty of lift and no need for exta weights or ballast in the wheels. You wouldn't know mine has a crane during other tractor operations.

Now I have a crane on a jake plate, I wouldn't consider a roof mount.

They make the tractor too top heavy and then you need to add a lot of extra ballast, so adding more weight to the tractor.

With the jake plate, you can have a lighter crane with a king post, so giving plenty of lift and no need for exta weights or ballast in the wheels. You wouldn't know mine has a crane during other tractor operations.

Jake plate has loads of advantages over roof mount and having used one over in Finland i'm on my way to being converted. For me it's still the king post in the rear of the window which is a pig to look around a its so close. You just have such a great view with a roof mount. Just a pitty about the front weights, wheel weights and water balasted tires to get it upright.

It's only a small niggle but considering how less tippy it is its a good trade off. The main advantage of a roof mount is that you get a Botex which has a massive amount of lifting power for not a lot of money. That 2.8 tonne close in lift though does diminish being on the roof and you will tip it picking up big timber.

The jake plate and crane Kelsa 203T crane can be had for around 17k from when i looked into 2 years ago.

<edit>When i started writing this i had a point to make but i've lost it. Time for bed i think.

I like the tiny spout on the 2nd chipper wish i had thought of that on the farmi that i used to crane feed with a botex 360tl got a bit of a pain getting out to sort it out after hitting it, problem was sorted by company getting a 560tl mounted on top, just wish they had built the 570tl at the time so i could have picked up timber behind the rib cage trailer.

• 4 weeks later...