money for nothing......chicks for free!!!

larry

:001_cool:

Ladies and Gents,

A very happy new year to you all!!

On my last thread I was trawling for info about the Arb indstry, training ect.

Many hoofing replys and top tips from you good people. The suggestion that I should activley seek work experiance with local Arb firms cropped up several times. I have no quals and no experiance and no kit or PPE.

Not a sausage........................ YET!!

I have spoken to a few local firms, quite large, and well established in the Hampshire area.

They have said they would happily take myself for a few days here and there, for me to learn the ropes, get a little hands on and all the other areas.

I'm happy with this, what are your views and thoughts. Have they got cheap labour and a general dogs body?? I know there is starting at the bottom, and I don't expect to be doing the business and swinging from trees (you know what I mean) on day one!! What I intend is to gain quality experiance.

Any comments and thoughts always welcome.

Cheers.

Larry.:001_smile:

Larry, I recently took on an ex forces chap, he had no experience and had just passed his certs. 4 months later he is one of my most important employee's, leading his own team. This is purely down to his excellent self discipline, timekeeping, ability to hold responsibilty, organzational ability and a penchant for being a very quick earner.

So all things are possible for you :D

If I could recomend a career path in that locality, Scottish and southern Electric are taking all their cutting and Arb work in house. If the MOD will pay for your training, dont bother getting an 'Arb' course, get all your Electrical Arb tickets and get into the line clearance side.

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Lads , thanks a lot. Thats what I was hoping for, it was pretty much along my train of thought. Getting your responses is hoofing!! The age old saying of" eyes and ears open, legs moving and gob shut" goes along way!!

I shall keep you informed of progression. If you have any other point, fire away. Cheers!!

Regards.

L

:001_cool:

Have they got cheap labour and a general dogs body??

Yup! They have but from their point of view - unseen what else could they reasonably offer??

Larry, if you want to, and you CAN, then you will - having said this not everyone has your progression at heart so proper development is generally self driven. Allow yourself to develop at your own pace and do not underestimate the importance of doing the relatively mundane tasks properly. A said eyes and ears!!

As ex-services though I am sure this is integral to your approach anyway, best of luck and remember trees have feelings :blush: