The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

45 minutes ago, htb said:

As you said change bellhousing. The swap is normally the other way round series 2 gearbox into a series 3 as its supposed to be stronger

This one will be a DIY rebuild but the son of my mate who owns it wants to drive it in the mean time. The series 3 gearbox seems fairly common as a take out , the series 2 both rare and expensive.

22 minutes ago, Khriss said:

.. All I can remember is SIII has carbon thrust bearing fr the clutch an SIII has ball bearing. Military chassis are bolt on gearbox crossmember- civilian ones are welded in place ( box out thru the floor) k

Yes I vaguely remember carbon thrust bearings and similar the bolt on MOD cross member, this  one is coming out upwards. The boy has got all the seat base out and I expect he will have it out before I get back there on Monday.

I can never get my head around people rating land rovers. Personally I think there uncomfortable and most of all totally unreliable.

Seems to be the later the Land Rover the more unreliable they are, but my ‘96 Defender has done 100,000 miles more reliably than my 2007 Mercedes or Audi or later shit 322 RR or Freelander 2. Certainly wouldn’t buy a new Land Rover. They are truly shit[emoji3]

Apart from routine servicing, I had one breakdown in 100,000 miles due to ignoring a noisy front wheelbearing. In spite of the bearing collapsing I managed to file up the stub axle to accept a new bearing. Try that on any other modern throw away vehicle[emoji1303]

• Like 2

Frankly OS man, the floor n seat box out method is better. I think squaddies used to roll them over ( battery out) to do them. You best do clutch slave cylinder at same time as floor out. ( Ebay now do the coarse screws to hold the floor panels down) 

Edited by Khriss
Cos you will chisel each one off!

49 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Frankly OS man, the floor n seat box out method is better. I think squaddies used to roll them over ( battery out) to do them. You best do clutch slave cylinder at same time as floor out. ( Ebay now do the coarse screws to hold the floor panels down) Cos you will chisel each one off!

The lad managed to undo all the screws to the seat box without problems.

It is a remarkable vehicle as it hasn't run since 1980 and has been barn garaged since well before that by the second owner. A water company had it for the first 4 or 5 years.

Strangely the chassis is painted green over a zinc rich base and not a spot of corrosion on it.

It will be restored to it's 1965 spec but not pristine, the lad has a sensible approach and likes some of the "patina" (including the list of telephone numbers on the visor but he will repaint the steel bits after treating any rust spots.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Khriss said:

Frankly OS man, the floor n seat box out method is better. I think squaddies used to roll them over ( battery out) to do them. You best do clutch slave cylinder at same time as floor out. ( Ebay now do the coarse screws to hold the floor panels down) 

WTF?

So all the Engine Oil,both fuel tanks,brake fluid and diff oils came out the filler/breather holes?

Want to buy a Ceder Log?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, htb said:

As you said change bellhousing. The swap is normally the other way round series 2 gearbox into a series 3 as its supposed to be stronger

I am well aware that the series 2 gearboxes have always been regarded as stronger than series 3.

In the 90's I had a SWB series 2 with the later 2.5 petrol mated to the original series 2 box. The engine was in standard tune, ie not a half shaft snapper.

Imagine my shock when pulling away on the level, unloaded, not towing, and the gearbox mainshaft snapped!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, maybelateron said:

I am well aware that the series 2 gearboxes have always been regarded as stronger than series 3.

In the 90's I had a SWB series 2 with the later 2.5 petrol mated to the original series 2 box. The engine was in standard tune, ie not a half shaft snapper.

Imagine my shock when pulling away on the level, unloaded, not towing, and the gearbox mainshaft snapped!

Had one do that-that's Wot you do on yr Sundays instead of going to church. Gear puller please vicar ? k

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...