The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Earth strap are a big problem on landys, Problem with mine a month ago Radio cut out then in, Head lights off then on with out touching any thing great when doing 50MPH at night, turned out to be earth from battery to chassis to gear box had come detached from chassis.

Hi Jon, what arrangement for locking the hub nuts do you have?

Early vehicles had two nuts with a tab washer between them. to set these up, the first nut is tiughtened to get the correct end float on the bearing, then the second nut locks the fist, and the tab washer stops either nut moving.

On later vehicles this arrangement was modified (to make factory assembly cheaper) and there is a spacer fitted between the two bearings' inner races within the hub. With this setup there is a single hub nut which is tightened very tight and then a collar on the nut is staked into a slot in the stub axle.

The change was midway through TD5 production, I believe.

Either is very reliable if correctly assembled, but many folk don't like the later arrangement becuase it cannot be adjusted for wear, and if you change the bearings you can have trouble finding the correct size spacer. It is quite possible to convert the late type to the early type by ditching the spacer and reverting to the two nuts plus tab washer, but if the spacer is removed and the single later nut used, or the wrong type of tab washer, the bearing can work loose.

It might be worth checking that you do have either type but correctly assembled. Set up properly, they shouldn't work loose regardless of how you use the vehicle.

HI TREE we think now we no what it is i will told today that the wash wears and there can be play in the washer so were trying that first thanks jon

This my Bob Tail Range Rover Classic, I have had it around ten years and it was a 3.5 v8 manual, it is now a 200tdi auto.

It has many battle scars and looks rough but it very reliable and covers the ground well.

I have been in a few tights spots over the years but we always managed to sort things out, the grandkids love it.

BT2.jpg

BT3.jpg

BT1.jpg

BT4.jpg

BT4.jpg.99387855ce8211f34e19553def4c6291.jpg

BT1.jpg.e990d5e527c5495aea39ecbb3a271c72.jpg

BT3.jpg.e4faf637d8914d4dcdc9275083cae7d8.jpg

BT2.jpg.c6cc0a0c3d20dd3253e79b3f43b2fa32.jpg