The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Harder to steal and your mates can't borrow your trailers but when you break down with your Landy the AA can't recover you!

I now carry a 50mm ball hitch and would swap it back by the side of the road if that ever happened again.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 07:33, Mick Dempsey said:

Well yes and no (and I’m yet to get to the bottom of it) I have found the power loss on oversize tyres quite significant. 

Edit: poked about a bit on the web, it seems any tyre wheel combos have to be an approved size by the manufacturer.

Out of interest are you running the defender transfer box? I stuck the disco one on and it makes it much more drivable, less whiny too!

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’m guessing so, I certainly haven’t changed it.

It's worth the upgrade if your box ever goes or it needs to be rebuilt. You can have them fit the disco parts into the defender box but it ups the gearing slightly. The defender is 1.41:1 and the disco is 1.21:1. Depends what you're doing with it really though. If you're towing all the time the defender box is better but if you want something more drivable everyday the disco box makes a big change. It stops it screaming its tits off at 70

2 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It's worth the upgrade if your box ever goes or it needs to be rebuilt. You can have them fit the disco parts into the defender box but it ups the gearing slightly. The defender is 1.41:1 and the disco is 1.21:1. Depends what you're doing with it really though. If you're towing all the time the defender box is better but if you want something more drivable everyday the disco box makes a big change. It stops it screaming its tits off at 70

70mph in a defender! id say a wine from the gearbox would be the least of my worries, i know you can get white finger from machine vibration, wonder what you get from driving a defender??

i guess the roads are smoother in the uk though.

70mph in a defender! id say a wine from the gearbox would be the least of my worries, i know you can get white finger from machine vibration, wonder what you get from driving a defender??
i guess the roads are smoother in the uk though.
I've done 70mph in mine, once was enough.
  • Like 1

Was in a hurry to get to somewhere before they shut to drop a tractor part off 130 sat at 70 on dual carriage way for over 6 miles without any troubles, then a Ford ranger towing a ifor passed me, he must of been hitting 80 as he disappeared into the distance.