The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Apologies for fouling up the thread true believers, I didn’t know where else to post it.

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Apologies for fouling up the thread true believers, I didn’t know where else to post it.

... Probably at the gates of hell... Where you Will be changing Series propshafts for all eternity... Heretic. K

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lux said:

emoji23.png exactly. I gave up on those jalopy’s years ago. Land rovers are great for enthusiasts but if you want a reliable work vehicle look elsewhere.

I can completely understand where you are coming from, the problem comes in the looking elsewhere department... 

Im certainly a land rover enthusiast but I have tried/looked at other makes and can't see any alternative for my defender/disco, other than a hugely expensive land cruiser or something

• Like 1

I can completely understand where you are coming from, the problem comes in the looking elsewhere department... 
Im certainly a land rover enthusiast but I have tried/looked at other makes and can't see any alternative for my defender/disco, other than a hugely expensive land cruiser or something

I’m a Toyota convert. Landcruiser amazon are superb in every way.
I replaced a TD5 hi cap with a hilux invincible. There isn’t anything the landrover will do that the hilux won’t do.
One thing a defender does benefit from is thick aluminium body work that takes a knock well.

I have a hilux as well so I'm certainly not anti Toyota. 

I'm not anti new pick ups as such, but there just literarily isn't a direct replacement for my 110 available anywhere. 

Ive tried to like the new ranger as they are great vehicles, but its not for me.

My current vehicle plan is to keep my 110, which has been doing 20k+ a year, keep my td5 disco as car/back up/tow car and add a 3.0 single cab iveco tipper, That should keep the miles on the defender down to 10k or so a year, so it should last a few more years??

• Like 1

I've got  a series 3 swb Land Rover, fitted with the later 2.5 n/a/ diesel. Fully restored by myself including galvanised chassis, axle and gearboxes professionally rebuilt. PTO winch fitted.

Goes nowhere quickly, goes anywhere slowly. Tows 2 tons legit, OK for 3.5 as has the LWB twin leading shoe front axle with servo, just not had it changed by DVLA/VOSA. Use the Disco 2 TD5 for the heavy towing.

I reckon this combination is very cost effective. Series 3 won't lose value, Disco 2 has bottomed out in price and makes the hysteria over TDI defenders look crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I think a Hilux or ranger 3.2 would be lovely, but the cost is just silly.

• Like 4

The petrol engined Series III Land Rover's I drove in the TA way back in the 1980's gained my enduring respect for their mechanical simplicity and off road abilities, if not for their build quality, panel fit or cabin comfort.

A  quiet, intelligent and exceptionally competent Premix truck owner/driver demonstrated what they were capable of in a disused hard-rock quarry, in bog-standard trim with the ordinary  Army spec  Michelin tyres.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Personally I don’t see why a single cab / tipper conversion wouldn’t replace a 110. I’ve owned both and it’s Toyota for me. They do the same thing. But everyone has their preferences. Landrover are great but I can do exactly the same in comfort [emoji106]

18 hours ago, lux said:

Personally I don’t see why a single cab / tipper conversion wouldn’t replace a 110. I’ve owned both and it’s Toyota for me. They do the same thing. But everyone has their preferences. Landrover are great but I can do exactly the same in comfort 

To be fair a single cab tipper would be pretty close- that's what my hilux is, but that will never be a main work truck as it is too old and can't tow much.

The other problems with that would be: 

Lack of tool/storage space. 

Modern pick ups are very big and have car quality and style panels,  which makes them highly vulnerable to expensive damage.

Gearing/inability to use low box on tarmac to shunt heavy trailers. I don't know if that's the case with the latest generation of pick ups but it was certainly an issue for both the people I know who've had DMaxs for towing.

And this is the big one:

Cost/Depreciation. 

I've had my defender nearly 4 years, done 65k hard miles in it, and its basically worth what I paid for it. 

You're not going to get that with anything else!

Having said all that, if they brought out a van version, a proper van, with a access from between the seats and a rear door, not a pick up with a canopy, and it had a proper 7 ton train weight, id be very interested. After someone else had taken the hit on the depreciation, obviously!????

To be fair a single cab tipper would be pretty close- that's what my hilux is, but that will never be a main work truck as it is too old and can't tow much.
The other problems with that would be: 
Lack of tool/storage space. 
Modern pick ups are very big and have car quality and style panels,  which makes them highly vulnerable to expensive damage.
Gearing/inability to use low box on tarmac to shunt heavy trailers. I don't know if that's the case with the latest generation of pick ups but it was certainly an issue for both the people I know who've had DMaxs for towing.
And this is the big one:
Cost/Depreciation. 
I've had my defender nearly 4 years, done 65k hard miles in it, and its basically worth what I paid for it. 
You're not going to get that with anything else!

Having said all that, if they brought out a van version, a proper van, with a access from between the seats and a rear door, not a pick up with a canopy, and it had a proper 7 ton train weight, id be very interested. After someone else had taken the hit on the depreciation, obviously![emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Shunting trailers in low is fine. Would only be an issue shunting if you locked the diff on tarmac. They tow 3.5 ton so that’s all good. Why would you want to access the back from between the seats ? Best to keep kit separate from the cab. Landrovers only hold silly money because they don’t make them any more. [emoji106]