In Desperate times...My Silky saves the day!

silky fox

• 2 weeks later...
Because I have a drink problem I do dry January each year to prove I’ve not. I love drinking, makes me feel relaxed and content but....
By February 1st have alway lost a stone and a half and feel great but then it’s back to normal.
I always get my annual blood pressure blood tests done then and they are reasonable. Completely cheating only myself as for the rest of the year I wouldn’t be surprised if they were dire. I’ve always failed to curb it, my last great white hope is that come retirement in august I will not feel the need and will limit it to sensible amounts. I’m really envious and respectful of those who can cut it out completely but it too much a part of my life. I wish it wasn’t

That’s a very frank and honest answer. Credit to you for posting it.

I grew up in a family where a tipple was allowed and had a mate whose parents ran a pub. We graduated from going to a local youth club, to going for a few frames of snooker and a few pints whilst watching a band, circa 15 years old. At uni I drank regularly, particularly in a year in France (being able to buy 24 stubbies for about £3 played a part in that) and then again for a couple of years afterwards. I’ve had times years ago when I realised I hadn’t gone to bed properly sober for a couple of months, even if it was only a couple of drinks per night I was having.

I’ve ended up in a desk job and moved away from where my mates live, plus got older. I still have a couple of beers at the weekend, then if given the opportunity can put 10 pints away in a daytime / evening session. Monday to Friday I try to not drink though, I find by the end of the week I am generally sleeping better and feel more alert in the daytime.

But even when I rationalise all of this, and realise that some of the times I have let myself down most in life are when I’ve been properly pissed, STILL alcohol feels like a bit of a treat.

It’s a bugger of a situation and no mistake, I suppose a shrink would have something to say about it. Not sure what this adds to the conversation but just to say that how you describe your relationship with booze rang a bell with me too.

Because I have a drink problem I do dry January each year to prove I’ve not. I love drinking, makes me feel relaxed and content but....
By February 1st have alway lost a stone and a half and feel great but then it’s back to normal.
I always get my annual blood pressure blood tests done then and they are reasonable. Completely cheating only myself as for the rest of the year I wouldn’t be surprised if they were dire. I’ve always failed to curb it, my last great white hope is that come retirement in august I will not feel the need and will limit it to sensible amounts. I’m really envious and respectful of those who can cut it out completely but it too much a part of my life. I wish it wasn’t
Admire your honesty here. Just wanted to add a word of caution about retirement. I hope you're right about it in your case but it could go the other way. I'm not there yet myself but I think retirement can be detrimental to some people. The shock of a big lifestyle change and the sudden lack of routine etc. I guess if you've got lots of plans of stuff to do you should be ok.

On 18/02/2021 at 11:51, Tippin Alaybye said:

Brave post. I went full circuit and haven't had a drink for over 15 years now and don't miss it. There are a lot of false beliefs around alcohol, the bottom line is if alcohol is causing anyone problems then they have a problem with alcohol.

There's at least one in every graveyard in this country that could handle it.I can assure anyone there is only ever one winner when you have a problem and carry on. 

There's a lot of stigma attached to alcohol problems, and i haven't met anyone yet that set out to be an alcoholic, considering the depths it can take you to why would you?  

Take care of yourself , and i hope it works out for you.

On 18/02/2021 at 11:51, Tippin Alaybye said:

I have battled with drink all my life and like you i find the enjoyment of it and relaxes me. Its not a stress related thing mostly these days but in the past its been a coping mechanism after a brutal divorce which kicked it up a level. I really hope you look after your self tippin and you have my resect for your honesty. I seem to control it well and limit myself but if i get my mind set i will go for gold 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I have battled with drink all my life and like you i find the enjoyment of it and relaxes me. Its not a stress related thing mostly these days but in the past its been a coping mechanism after a brutal divorce which kicked it up a level. I really hope you look after your self tippin and you have my resect for your honesty. I seem to control it well and limit myself but if i get my mind set i will go for gold 

Les, with  respect because believe me i have been to hell and back with alcohol and would not want to discount anyone. However, as i said in my post there are a lot of false beliefs around alcohol, alcohol may reduce stress for a while, however the flip side of that is alcohol withdrawal increases stress. People say they drink because they are depressed, alcohol is a depressant, and furthermore negates any medication for depression. People say it helps them sleep, not true, quality of sleep is worse when intoxicated, A lot of these are society beliefs, society is not always right.

This is not a criticism of you Les, it's just throwing it out there.  I can honestly assure you that if i hadn't started to listen and accept i would not be sat typing this now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ESS said:

Les, with  respect because believe me i have been to hell and back with alcohol and would not want to discount anyone. However, as i said in my post there are a lot of false beliefs around alcohol, alcohol may reduce stress for a while, however the flip side of that is alcohol withdrawal increases stress. People say they drink because they are depressed, alcohol is a depressant, and furthermore negates any medication for depression. People say it helps them sleep, not true, quality of sleep is worse when intoxicated, A lot of these are society beliefs, society is not always right.

This is not a criticism of you Les, it's just throwing it out there.  I can honestly assure you that if i hadn't started to listen and accept i would not be sat typing this now.

There is nothing you can tell me about alcohol believe me and what you have gone through i have a dozen T shirts. I will not post any more as its private to me

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1