In Desperate times...My Silky saves the day!

silky fox

Great to hear from you Ian.Harry Potter?? Never heard of her....bit after my time mate[emoji848]... Lord of the rings  is more my era [emoji106] I am actually rather pleased you have responded and are keen to hear my plans.Not only do I consider you one of my best Arboricultural buddies and I am a great Fan of Target Trees but you have a connection with the place in which it all started for me,Houghal College.That is where I first decided that training was where I set my sights (and that was even before I had my blue book). I just can,t seem to get in there.I,ve even just missed another chance as they were after an instructor and the deadline ended last week I believe.Didn,t see the advert till it was too late.Been concentrating on helping my friends Company get off the ground so I,ve been climbing through the summer which has been great fun...There isn't  much else up here.South has always been where the work is at and after my five years in London I told myself that I would stay in the North to be with my Grandchildren and Family(and Tree work) However.......Yesterday I recieved a message from a friend from a long way back.....right to the beginning.Houghal in fact.He has done rather well for himself since we met at college and we are meeting this morning for Coffee and a wander around the City.He is my go to for advice.Some people may know in the Arb world.I shall post my day with him later.So on this rainy morning I shall dash down to train for an hour then catch up with my good friend Paul Elcoat [emoji41][emoji269]
Good to hear Paul,

I believe the collage still have the alskan mill I bought and donated to them in use.

If you missed the deadline for the job, then it wasn't meant to be buddy. There's always another door getting ready to open, but please keep going forward in your training. End goal is always something to remeber and I do throughly believe you would be a fine instructor and assessor. Not because we are friends but because your positivity, genuine care and love for trees to anyone, wanting them to succeed is a great personal attribute.

I may actually be in Durham around February as Mr Gage owens is popping back from Australia and his facetimed me the other week to see if me and jenny would come up as he's getting the houghall guys and pole climbers together.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My preference and something I have done unofficially in the past would be to take complete novices and teach them Throwline techniques,how to access the tree using rope and harness,tree climbing,work positioning,aerial rescue,safe use of the chainsaw in a tree from a working rope,free fall cuts,directional cuts,hand held sections.Tree felling of small/medium trees.Snedding and cross-cutting.Basic chainsaw maintenance.Safe use of a Chipper and Stumpgrinder.No idea what the numbers of the units are They keep changing but you get the picture.Basically all the things I love doing and have been trained,re-trained and refreshed many times over the years.Got some great leads from Paul yesterday.I find it very easy to engage with people and enthuse them which results in getting the best out of people.My favourite thing to do.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I will get this thread back on a more Arboricultural track but it is in essence my journey from my desperate time up until now.I was a very heavy drinking alcoholic for more years than I care to remember but thankfully I have been Sober three years on December the 31st at about 11.00 p.m when I decided enough was enough.This picture shows me with my Son back when I lead a more Hedonistic life.

FB_IMG_1574600333635.jpg

• Like 1