Your opinions on the best ropes for SRT?

danholls

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mammut just arrived today. lovely light feel and I was very suprised with how flexible and malable it is. I thought it would be alot stiffer like many other static/caving/access ropes. So far so good but a big climb will be the proof. I have plans to use for work positioning as well as access.

Good to know someone else been using it and likes it as I was just taking a flyer at it really. Ive been using new england tachyon and have found it too stretchy for SRT work positioning.

I had the same rope for a time. It is cheap and does the job but I found it as stretchy as most lines probably a little less than tachyon.

You want a little bounce for some dynamic absorption, that globe 5000 whilst on paper is seriously strong it aill snap far easier then a rope with stretch that has half it's strength.

Also I found the Mammut glazed easily when working srt probably just me bombing out the tree yet ropes from Yale NE etc more suited to arb work and friction lasted longer than the caving/industrial ropes.

What about Beal antipodes good industrial line that can be found at a good price.

Currently I'm using Sterling HTP and for access I really like it very static but just enough give for absorption I probably should replace it, it's been in use over 5 years now, not sure I,d want to work srt off it other than the odd bit here and there.

I wonder if you can still get the American Poison Ivy through sherrils compared to what was sold over here that stuff was very static.

American poison ivy or cougar blue would probably be best for SRTWP. Really static and a bit easier to grab. If its just SRT access sterling htp is super super static.. Im thinking about getting a length myself :)

Ive run 10mm statics with the wrench and uni and they both work sweet.

American poison ivy or cougar blue would probably be best for SRTWP. Really static and a bit easier to grab. If its just SRT access sterling htp is super super static.. Im thinking about getting a length myself :)

Ive run 10mm statics with the wrench and uni and they both work sweet.

Compared to globe Sterling htp is bouncy, although when top tied rather than base the stretch is not noticeable I prefer base tie for ascent to introduce twice the length for some absorption with these super static lines. I only climbed briefly on globe plus a few other comparable lines from Beal and Liros and for me I did not like them to damn static, I remember talking to a climber who is a foot locking beast and he felt the ultra static lines put a bit more undue stress on your body and now prefers a more forgiving static line.

Ive not tried globe, but htp is close enough to cable for me. Ive used it base anchored on 80m eucs in oz and there wasnt too much bounce compared to some of the cheaper 'static' ropes. Would love to try globe if its more static than htp. Strictly for access with ascenders. Work positioning I would want a bit more bounce. Cougar blue is amazing for that. My favourite all round rope.

...i use vortex which is 12.7mm but works really well, ...

I am really surprised more climbers don't use Vortex. It is super strong and easy on the hands. Because of its high strength it is low stretch at the loads we use it at but it can still take a dynamic hit in stride because of its double-braid construction.

Old Mill, the new tools like the Hitch Hiker and Rope Wrench are not so much limited in performance by rope choice but they are more dependent on the proper combination of rope, hitch cord and friction hitch. With mechanicals once you figure out how you like them, you just pick a rope to suit. Generally, thin and hard equals fast, fat and soft equals more depth of control.

Where this is also true with the HH and RW because they are hitch-based, you can adjust the performance tendencies that individual climbing lines possess dramatically by hitch material and configuration.

This means knowing if you have " the best " rope for your climbing requirements will be dependent on how many combinations, of those possible, you have tried.

Dave

Yes Dmc the Vortex is a lovely rope to handle with little noticeable give, would of got some myself just to cumbersome for my taste in DRT, but would imagine it to be great for srt work, my only gripe from what I have seen with this rope is the strands can pick easily a minor one.

well I just been for a scramble with me new Mammut and so far it knocks the old tachyon into a cocked hat thats for sure. seems very static with only a tiny amount of stretch and my hitch locks and glides up and down smoothly. quite taken with it at the minute. Higher braking strain than kernmaster and similar construction from what I can gather......for two thirds of the price.....!