Top Handled Saw: Stihl vs Echo vs Husq vs Other?

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not needed any other than a brake band on the little top handle a few years back, but that turned up in the post after a couple of days.

Ta. Funny thing is it was the dealer that advised me on the parts thing, can't remember if we were talking about saws or trimmers at the time but we ended up putting all our eggs in one basket with the saws and regret it now.

• 2 months later...
Whats everyones thoughts on the battery saws compared to petrol?

It's a different league.

On my Husqy 540 is now permanently a 16 inch bar that gets beat only on take downs.

For pruning the Husqy 536LiXP is the only way to go. Especially when working in a manlift.

No continuous working chainsaw around that 'spills' petrol while waiting for the next cut.

No excessive noise. Your able to hear your groundie.

No excessive noise. Your able to work in places without annoying innocent bystanders.

No headaches (when you're still on your own self mix petrol).

I leave my charger at home and on average I use no more than four 3 amps batteries during the day. I change batteries at every coffee break. That doesn't mean that those batteries are flat. Usually the ones that come out are still half or quarter full. No use to run them totally flat to stop and change. Just change whenever you can.

The only times I run them flat is when I misuse the saw on take downs. Using the full 12 inches of the bar in for instance oak strains the machine excessive thus draining the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

We've a T540xp on demo for 2 days next week on Council job pruning tidying oaks overhanging gardens.

There will be 4 saws to compare, a wee Echo which people like for it's weight, a 192, 200 and thus T540xp.

I won't be there for this job but I've got a price of 432euros plus vat for the T540xp from the dealer.

I'll post the climbers feedback after Xmas.

Ty

We've a T540xp on demo for 2 days next week on Council job pruning tidying oaks overhanging gardens.

There will be 4 saws to compare, a wee Echo which people like for it's weight, a 192, 200 and thus T540xp.

I won't be there for this job but I've got a price of 432euros plus vat for the T540xp from the dealer.

I'll post the climbers feedback after Xmas.

Ty

From what you've said about the manner in which you encourage your climbers to use their saws, I can imagine the T540 would be well suited to your crew. It's a good powerful saw, but its fragile if you drop it on it's strop, bang it around the tree, or pull it over too hard. I think it's better suited to dismantles however, as when pruning it regularly needs choke to start, even after a couple of minutes. In my opinion the 201t is better for this type of work.

I'm surprised to report though, that I've bent the AV spring on the Stihl and the Husqy is still holding up well!

I'm lucky enough to have a good complement of toppers at work, so I can pick and choose depending on the job.